Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP Roaming

lordi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning on deploying 6 Cisco Aironet 1131 Access points and I want to make sure I'll be able to roam (SAME VLAN, SAME SSID, SAME SETTINGS) from one access point to the other without any glitch in the audio while ip phone reassociate.

I've called cisco pre-sale and depending to whom I spoke with, some told me it was basic feature, some told me I was needing the access-point controller.

Can somebody with experience tell me if I can achieve this without the expense of a controller please

Thanks

4 Replies 4

I have installed similar configurations several times without any problems.

Just make sure you use the latest IOS at the APs, because there was a glitch in the IAPP (Inter Access Point Protocol) in older versions that was creating one-way-audio problems.

It is also recommended (but not necessary) to use a cisco switch for the access points.

Thanks a lot for your help,

I will go on and order the access points

Regards

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For roaming times, it all depends on the authentication method you choose. Open and WEP will be very fast (<150ms). If using 802.1x, then roam times can be 300ms+ if not using a fast roaming mechanism (i.e. CCKM). If using CCKM, caching can be utilized to minimize off-network time, which will be similiar to a wep roam.

The controller based architecture was designed for latency based applications such as voice and video. Voice will work on autonomous deployments but I strongly suggest LWAPP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card