Views
Helpful
Replies

Line Card Compatibility

csco11142276
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all Cisco experts,

I need an urgent help for the design I am currently working on. We have a customer who has got 2*6506 (old Chassis) and planning to upgrade. At present they have got following modules installed in them:

Core 6506*1

Mod Ports Card Type Model Serial No.

--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------

1 2 Cat 6k sup 1 Enhanced QoS (Active) WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE SAD04320ETR

3 16 16 port 1000mb GBIC ethernet WS-X6416-GBIC

6 3 Network Analysis Module WS-SVC-NAM-1

Core 6506*2

Mod Ports Card Type Model Serial No.

--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------

1 2 Cat 6k sup 1 Enhanced QoS (Active) WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE

3 16 16 port 1000mb GBIC ethernet WS-X6416-GBIC

I am planning to put forward new 6506E chassis with new SUP-720-10G bundle installed with 12.2(33)SXH software image. I have a quick query on whether the current classic line modules 6416 and NAM-1 module are compatible with 6509E chassis and the image stated.

Also, they have requested100 VoIP user solution for a day one and we are under very tight timescales and I am worried of the lead times of new products. I was just wondering what if for a day one solution we wouldn't offer any core switch upgrade and simply connect new call agent to existing two 6416 classic line modules in resilient fashion and later perform the phased migration of both core switches. Would this work? Would these line cards be able to provide advanced QoS functions provided these days by newer cards such as 6724/6748, etc for temporary period of time? Any potential points to be considered?

Thanks a ton in advance.

2 Replies 2

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, These cards are compatible with the SUP720, and the 6500E chassis. The 6416 should also provide adequate QoS for your telephony solution as well. I also don't see a problem with slowly migrating your users from the old chassis to the new chassis.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Thanks a lot Mark. What about software image compatibility with existing line cards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card