same information to 4 hosts

Unanswered Question
Jul 16th, 2008

there is some way of my router (2811) receive a packet from a workstation in a interface A and send this packet to 4 servers in interface B?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3 (2 ratings)
Edison Ortiz Wed, 07/16/2008 - 18:49

Yes, with the use of multicast.

The servers will join a multicast group and the workstation will send a packet to the multicast group instead of unicast directly to the servers.

You need an application that supports multicast for this to work.

HTH,

__

Edison.

denaumcisco Thu, 07/17/2008 - 03:47

An application in the router or did you mean in my application?

Sorry, can you explain to me?

Thanks

denaumcisco Thu, 07/17/2008 - 05:27

The problem is that one side I cant change anything, this side aways send a packet to one IP ( I was think about the router) and that equipament will send to the 4 servers or if the workstation send a packet to server 1, the "router" catch the packet and send to the others server too

Any sugestion?

Edison Ortiz Thu, 07/17/2008 - 05:33

I don't have any other suggestion. A router can not fulfill this requirement.

__

Edison.

tdrais Thu, 07/17/2008 - 07:20

I don't think a firewall can do this either. Replication of packets is something that is generally avoided.

Best bet would be some kinda of load balancer but replication is not their primary function either.

denaumcisco Thu, 07/17/2008 - 10:21

Thanks again Edison, taking advantage of the opportunity, do you know if I can put a regular pci network interface on Pix 525? Which model?

Thanks

Edison Ortiz Thu, 07/17/2008 - 10:33

Not recommended and unsupported by Cisco. You should order the proper replacement via your Cisco reseller.

__

Edison.

Actions

This Discussion