Views
Helpful
Replies

Management access

DanceGun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have got a 1600 router which is not coming with HSEC feature. The router is located on the DMZ area, and as I got one ethernet port free, can I use that as management port? How do I do that please?

Thank you

5 Replies 5

Hi,

Are you configuring it from scratch ?

If yes then, erase the start-up config and reload the router. On reload it will ask you for default setup config . follow that and then it will display a list of interfaces and it will ask you to select the Management interface.

Follow the prompts and then save the config.

If you are modifying on the existing config , then suppose f0/0 is the free interface,

give command "default f0/0" in the config mode to reset the interface f0/0 into default.

Now you can configure the IP address for this int. and use it for mgmt.

Also check if there is any access-list under line vty , you would need to modify.

Hi,

thanks a lot for the info, the only problem that I got now is stopping this interface from forwarding traffic to other interface (as other interface is traffic within the DMZ-zone)

Is ACL the only way to prevent traffic forwarding from the DMZ-zone to this interface?

Thanks

Yes, ACL is the only way.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the advise. I can connect the "port" now to my management network. I have tried the the traffic from other interface is not being forwarded to the the interface. the only trouble now that I still could not send file to tftp server, I might need to modify the access-list a bit.

Any way, thanks a lot for your help.

Kind regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: