Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to reset 1231 Access Point from LW mode, to standard mode

davebornack
Level 1
Level 1

How do I do this?

I've tried the clear lwapp commands, and nothing seems to help.

Do I need to load a new IOS?

11 Replies 11

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So you want to go from LWAPP to IOS?

This link will help:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161272

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note This section does not apply to Cisco C3201WMIC and Cisco C3201LAP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow these steps to revert from LWAPP mode to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS release using a TFTP server:

Step 1 The static IP address of the PC on which your TFTP server software runs should be between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated.

Step 3 On the PC where the TFTP server is located, perform these steps:

a. Disable any software firewall products, such as Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm firewall, McAffee firewall, or others.

b. Ensure all Windows files are visible. From Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders.

Step 4 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point, c1130-k9w7-tar.default for an 1130 series access point, and c1240-k9w7-tar.default for a 1240 series access point.

Step 5 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 6 Disconnect power from the access point.

Step 7 Press and hold MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 8 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.

Step 9 Wait until the access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 10 After the access point reboots, reconfigure it using the GUI or the CLI.

This looks almost like the perfect set of steps that I'm looking for, however, I can't seem to get the AP to download the file via TFTP.

The AP is giving this message when trying to grab the image.. "image_recovery: Download default IOS tar image tftp://255.255.255.255/c1200-k9w7

-tar.default"

The file names I've tried in my TFTP directory are "c1200-k9w7.tar", and "c1200-k9w7-tar.default" - as sucggested in what the AP is looking for.

However, neither seem to work.

I'm working directly with the .tar file that I downloaded from Cisco.

Any other suggestions? DO I need to unTAR the file first? Or just use the file I download from Cisco?

Thanks much!

1. can u ping bet ap and tftp server?

2. did u try using other tftp utility other than the one ur using?

3. just follow the renaming of the file as instructed.

4. check the location of 'default' file to be exactly in the tftp folder ur using.

5. and check the location folder on the tftp utility that it is the folder where the 'default' file is stored.

you can also try to delete the lwapp image from the ap and redo the instruction.

if you get the rommon prompt after the reset, there's another set of instruction for that, which is also easy and fun... hehehe...

set the ip address and netmask using the ff: (type with the same case of letters)

ap: set IP_ADDR x.x.x.x -> this ip for the ap

ap: set NETMASK x.x.x.x

ap: set DEFAULT_ROUTER x.x.x.x > optional

ap: tftp_init

ap: tar -xtract tftp://y.y.y.y/<'default filename> flash: -> ip here is for the tftp server.

xtracting/copying should start.....

I've done all of this (I've had plenty of ROMMON experience before), but for the love of Cisco, I cannot get this to work. It's not pingable (I've tried both straight and XOver ethernet cables).

I've tried ordering the commands differently, and have tried ether_init after setting the IP, NETMASK, DEFAULT_ROUTER info.

Still nothing.

Is there an order, or a specific way to do this?

I've tried your order listed above, and STILL have no luck.

Spent the last two hours messing with this thing..

Why do they make LWAPP mode so difficult to revert back from without a WCS controller?

You must have an issue with your tftp program or configuration. Try to download 3CDeamon and use that. *.default is what the file has to be named. Try using this tftp and see if you see any activity.

-Scott

3CDaemon is what I am using. Been using that forever. Thing is, I can't even ping the access point before I even try the TFTP..

Verify that you have your Ethernet configured with an ip address of 10.0.0.2

(for now) and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Shut off any other network connections while you try to do the conversion. Let the ap boot up and then on the cli of the ap, enter show ip int brief and see if the ap has an ip address of 10.0.0.1. It should if you reset the ap holding the mode button. Now try to ping the ap from the laptop and then ping the laptop via the ap. If this works, then perform the steps mentioned in the other thread, look at the tftp to see if you have any activity or not.... also look at the log on the ap while performing the upgrade.

-Scott

show ip int brief won't even come close to working. There isn't an IOS.

Theonly command that will show IP info, is "set".

It shows the ethernet info. The IP is correct, yet, unpingable.

Here's exactly what I've done.

Fired up AP, and I get to the AP: prompt.

Set IP_ADDR 192.168.1.98

Set NETMASK 255.255.255.0

Set DEFAULT_ROUTER 192.168.1.1

I PINGED 192.168.1.98, I get:

Pinging 192.168.1.98 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Then, I try:

ether_init

tftp_init

And then I Ping, and I get:

Pinging 192.168.1.98 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

I have link lights, no firewall enabled on my Windows box(es), yes, I've tried more than one PC.

Why won't the ethernet work?

Please try the following. When you do a TFTP recover from a 1st gen or a 2nd gen 1200 series AP, you need to do a few things. What was previously listed was indeed correct.

1.For TFTP recovery, the AP sets itself to 10.0.0.1, this does not need to be set.

2. The 1231's use the 1200 series recovery image. Since you have the tar file from cisco's website, rename the file to the following. --> c1200-k9w7-tar.default

3. Next, set your computer's local ethernet ip to 10.0.0.4, 255.255.255.0, no gateway address.

4. Disable any other network connections on the computer and plug in the AP so the ethernet connection establishes.

5. Open up your TFTP server and point the shared directory to the "c1200-k9w7-tar.default" file.

6. Then, with the ethernet plugged in to your computer and ap (use standard Cat5e patch cable, no cross over required), and with the ap's power off, hold down the MODE button and plug in the power for the AP.

7. When you see the light at the top of the AP turn RED, release the mode button and you should see the AP start the TFTP transfer.

P.S. I like to do this with a console cable / hyperterminal connection so I can see exactly what the AP is doing. It should help you to see if it says something like "TFTP" server timeout, or if it successfully gets to the AP prompt.

P.S.S. The only difference from a 1231 and a 1242 is that you use a c1240-k9w7-tar.default file instead of the c1200-k9w7-tar.default file.

Hope this helps!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card