cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L2 vs L3 Trunking

skhirbash
Level 1
Level 1

Could someone explain to me the difference between L2 Trunking vs L3 Trunking?

This is mentioned in a Cisco document "Catalyst 3560 Switch Software Configurtion Guide" under Configuring VLANs Trunks.

I appreciate the help in advance,

sK

6 Replies 6

garytayl
Level 3
Level 3

In a nutshell, L3 trunking is accomplished by configuring sub interfaces on a particular layer port while L2 trunking is done with a couple of commands in a single interface (with no subinterfaces).

Hope it helps

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no such thing as Layer3 trunking.

Trunking is the ability to carry more than one vlan via a link. This is a strictly a Layer2 feature.

Perhaps, you are referring to Layer2 vs Layer3 Etherchanneling?

BTW, I read the document you are referring to, I don't see any mentioning of Layer3 trunking anywhere.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Edison,

In the documentation I found a note saying:

"The switch does not support Layer 3 trunks; you cannot configure subinterfaces or use the encapsulation keyword on Layer 3 interfaces."

So I guess that is the reason of the question.

Gary

I think the document is just saying that the switch doesn't support trunking on a Layer 3 interface.

In other words you can't issue the command no switchport and then try and use that interface to form a trunk.

Gary,

I see the confusion.

I much prefer calling that sub-interface rather than Layer 3 trunk but I see the message the documentation is trying to convey.

Good catch, I missed that little section before.

Thanks

__

Edison.

Correct. The mentionning of L2 vs L3 trunking was on page 12-20 under the note section. Sorry for not making that clear in my original inquiry.

Thanks to all for your responses. I understand it now.

sK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: