cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500: %PFREDUN-SP-4-BOOTSTRING_INVALID

brobinson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. We have redundant SUP720s in SSO mode. We upgraded the IOS on both the active and standby SUPs. They independently boot the IOS with no problem.

I get this command when writing the configuration. "%PFREDUN-SP-4-BOOTSTRING_INVALID: The bootfile sup-bootflash:s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH2a.bin is present on the standby supervisor but not on the active"

Not sure why we get this when it is on both sup-bootflash and each can boot OK? Please advise.

Thank you!

11 Replies 11

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7

show the output

dir slavesup-bootflash:

dir sup-bootflash:

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Ben,

I have seen this before when I change the bootstrings before I copy the image to bootflash. It is a warning that the file you specified does not exist where you told the SUP to boot from. You should be ok if the file is there, but would probably be a good idea to reboot the switch while you are there consoled into it.

Mark

I have verified the files are in both sup-bootflash and slavesup-bootflash... When I boot up each SUP independently of each other, they are fine. I've removed the boot strings and put them back in. I'm not sure what is up.

Try using bootdisk instead of sup-bootflash.

boot system flash bootdisk:s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH2a.bin

Mark

The bootdisk: is not valid in the 6500. It is the sup-bootflash. I cannot "show bootdisk:".

Forgot the output of a "show version" from the active SUP also...

System image file is "sup-bootflash:s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH2a.bin"

You should be able to "dir bootdisk:" and it should display the same files in sup-bootflash.

You can use the command "show file system" to find out all the disks. and "show boot" to find out the boot string.

I forgot which release, sup-bootflash: was renamed to sup-bootdisk:, and they are linked together.

If you do a "show sup-bootdisk:" the file should be the same as sup-bootflash:.

However, bootflash: is a different, it is the file system on the MSFC (RP) while sup-bootflash:/sup-bootdisk: is the file system in the Switch Processor (SP). Native IOS is stored in the SP instead of the RP.

Personally, when I use the following statement for on the switch:

boot system flash sup-bootdisk:

HTH,

jerry

brobinson
Level 1
Level 1

Changed to sup-bootdisk: and it worked. Weird. What's the diff?

Hi,

sup-bootdisk: should be the same as sup-bootflash:, you should be able to see it with the "show file system" command. However, I've noticed that in IOS version starting either SXD or SXE, the supervisor card's file system has renamed from sup-bootflash: to sup-bootdisk:. In IOS version SXE, if you use the boot statement with sup-bootflash: the router will stuck at ROMMON. The only way to get the router to boot up correctly is point the IOS image to the external flash drive, disk0:, or sup-bootdisk:.

Just FYI, the file system on the MSFC is bootflash:.

HTH,

jerry

I had the same problem. Thanks for posting this information.

I had to issue 'no boot system', followed by 'boot system sup-bootflash:/', which fixed the %PFREDUN-SP-4-BOOTSTRING_INVALID for me.

Olly

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco