Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME Out of sync Summary

Hello

When looking at my RME Out-of-Sync Summary I have some devices that are out of sync. (41)

If I TELNET to these devices and compare Startup and Running config there is no diff.

If running the Synk on Device job for the devices they disappear from the list, for a while, but come back (with another diff.)

Anyone can help me on this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

From what I've seen, the Startup config timestamp in RME is always "as collected", i.e. it's the time of RME's latest collection job; it does not correlate with the "last written" timestamp seen on the device using "show start". This would suggest this device's Startup config was last collected by RME at May 28 2008 13:00:31.

But since you menton Compare Configs shows no diff, just to be certain, this was referring to comparing this devices latest Startup and Running configs, right?

Can you verify this device's Startup config is getting collected successfully by examining the "ArchiveUpdate" job? There're multiple ways to go about this: 1) find this job on the RME homepage, 2) RME -> Job Management -> RME jobs

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What does RME show when you click on the Diff link in the Out-of-Sync Summary?

Also, how do the Startup Config and Running Config timestamps compare in the Out-of-Sync Summary? The situation you described sounds like Scenario 2 below, which could be simply a matter of timing between the device config changes and RME's config retrieval/config fetch job schedules (which are usually once a day).

Here's an explanation I wrote for RME 3.5 "Out-of-Sync Report" from the LMS 2.2 days:

Scenario 1: Running Config timestamp is more recent than Startup Config timestamp in the Config Out-of-Sync Report.

This means "copy run start" needs to be run on the reported device to get the Startup config in sync with the Running Config.

Scenario 2: Startup Config timestamp is more recent than Running Config timestamp in the Config Out-of-Sync Report.

This means the latest CiscoWorks poll against the said device is more recent than the time an actual Running Config change has occurred on the same device. This is a result of not performing "copy run start" soon enough after configs have gone out-of-sync, as seen in Scenario 1. This is still a legitimate Config Out-of-Sync instance, as can be readily verified with "sh start" and "sh run". Perform "copy run start" to sync up the configs.

Thank you for quick answer.

Example: RME Out-of-Sync-Summary for one device Startup Timestamp: Created at May 28 2008 13:00:31 and Running : Created at Jul 14 2008 17:56:26.

Diff..

Startup

Global

errdisable recovery cause unicast-flood

no file verify auto

Running:

Global

boot-start-marker

boot-end-marker

ntp clock-period 36028968

Running Compare Configs Immediate for this switch shows no difference.

How come the report shows the difference between a config dated May 28 and one running from July 14?

Report is running daily (Midnight)

From what I've seen, the Startup config timestamp in RME is always "as collected", i.e. it's the time of RME's latest collection job; it does not correlate with the "last written" timestamp seen on the device using "show start". This would suggest this device's Startup config was last collected by RME at May 28 2008 13:00:31.

But since you menton Compare Configs shows no diff, just to be certain, this was referring to comparing this devices latest Startup and Running configs, right?

Can you verify this device's Startup config is getting collected successfully by examining the "ArchiveUpdate" job? There're multiple ways to go about this: 1) find this job on the RME homepage, 2) RME -> Job Management -> RME jobs

Hi

You're right, Compare configs job was done by running RME> Config Mgmt> Archive Mgmt> Compare Configs on the specific device. This shows difference between the actually running and startup config.

As you mentioned, it's my archive job that's not OK, therefor my archived running and startup is 'to old', and not compareable.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: