Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Mapper and FWSM

anasmomo
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

i am trying to document my network that conssits of Cisco 6509 with FWSM. i used a port mapper tool like Solarwinds and SwitchInspector to know a detailed information for each port in the switch (like the IP, MAC, VLAN...).

i have connected a test PC (with port Mapper installed) to a switch and assinged it to a VLAN configured directly to the MSFC. so the default gate way of the PC is a VLAN address configured in the Switch (MSFC).

after i had started the port mapper it discoverd all the port information of the PCs that is connected to the switch with the VLANs configured in the MSFC.

the problem is that the Port Mapper didnt discover the information of the hosts connected to the swith with the FWSM VLAN as a fefaul gateway.

i read in the Port Mapper tutorials that i have to definethe router that will request the ARP information (in my case the FWSM) but didnt work.

do you know how i can configure the FWSM to allow a host (the port mapper) to request the ARP Table.

many thanks

Anas

4 Replies 4

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

FWSM operates in either 'MSFC Outside' or 'MSFC Inside' mode. These ARP entries will not be visible on the switches that are on a separate broadcast domain as the FWSM (depending on MSFC setup). You can run the 'show arp' command on FWSM to see what its learning.

To be honest, your question is not that clear.

Regards

Farrukh

Dear Farrukh,

the network as follow:

FWSM(CONTEXT1)----MSFC-----FWSM(CONTEXT2)

there is vlans in Context1, MSFC and Context2

my managenment PC is connected to a vlan in the MSFC.

now when the port mapper work it need the ARP entries int the Context1 and context2 to match the L2 address it learned from the CAM table from the switch with the L3 address from the FWSM.

Is it possible to learn the ARP table from the FWSM contexts through SNMP?

Regards

Anas

please read question number 9 in this link:

http://www.switchinspector.com/support.htm

anasmomo
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

In Cisco Switches and routers we can enable access to the ARP Table using SNMP by using the following commands:

snmp-server view MibExcluded at excluded (Mac Address Table)

snmp-server view MibExcluded ip.21 excluded (Routing Table)

snmp-server view MibExcluded ip.22 excluded (ARP Table)

how i can enable the ASA/FWSM to allow access to the ARP Table using SNMP?

best Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card