cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CME4.1 - PBX Integration

scottvp
Level 1
Level 1

We are thinking of using CME4.1 as a gateway to a SIP trunk out (384K).

The questions we have:

Does the connection to the PBX (VWIC) need to be configured as a SIP?

The SIP trunk out is only for connecting the sites (a SIP server by the providor is responsible for connecting with 4 digit outgoing calls), as all local and long distance calls will go out the PBX. This should make the config for the CME4.1 minimal, unless I am mistaken.

Is this all possible? And, if so, would a simple dial plan forward this out ot the cloud?

Thanks! This is a great place to learn!

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

When you have a VoIP trunk on CME, it will be either SIP or H.323 depending on your preference, note there is no VWIC in this scenario.

When you have a POTS trunk on CME, with VWIC or other voice card, there is no H.323 neither SIP involved.

But, since the description of your scenario is not quite clear to me, you may want to clarify on that.

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that one.

There is a TDM PBX in which we want to send calls to a SIP server by our providor in which the call can be sent to a potential of 100 or so sites.

The PBX has a T1 line on it in which we were going to put it in a VWIC to send out to the providor via a SIP trunk.

Hi, yes you can do that with or without concurrent CME operation.

Please remember to rate useful posts.

But does the connection to the PBX need to be SIP? We are would have to configure the SIP out to the cloud in CME, but I wasn't sure if we could configure the SIP into the 2851 in the CME setup...

Hi, when you have a POTS connection like the VWIC (aka digital trunk), there is never any SIP involved in that.

The signaling on a digital trunk can be ISDN Q931 (Higly Recommended), QSIG, T1 CAS, E1 R2 or even something else, but never anything related to a VoIP protocol like SIP is.

Please rate post if it helps.

I am not versed in the Q931 or QSIG. I knew it wasn't going to be a simple connection, but don't know how to get the CME to recognize the patterns that might be coming it. The PBX is in the same location as the CME, if that helps.

Any help with the PBX in on a config would be GREATLY appreciated!

Well, to begin with you need to know which signaling protocol the PBX uses.

Then, it's also possible that the PBX needs to be configured so that certain calls go via trunk to CME, others go via PSTN possibly.

For a primer on configuring voip and pbx's you can begin searching "understanding dial-peer" on CCO.

The alternative would be to hire a reputable cisco partner or professional that would take care of everything for you.

Paolo, you are my mentor! +5 points for that nice explanation.

Often times people confuse signalling protocls, what they are and where they are used

Please rate all useful posts
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: