cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

difference in ground start and loop start

mikedurbin
Level 1
Level 1

Im putting in a fxo card and doing some configuration for it, and I have the choice between configuring it for loop start or ground start. Im going to use this for interfacing for a paging system, and I am not real sure which one I should choose for this. Does anyone know which I should choose for this type of setup and what the difference is between the two?

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, what the book doesn't say, is that ground start is an option only available in north america, by certain operators only, for certain types of analog circuits only.

It is not generally available in other parts of the world, or with telephone devices for general purpose.

So your choice should always be loop start (the default), unless you have a documented reason to do otherwise.

Please rate post if it helps!

Hi Mike,

I agree with my friend Paolo :) I have never seen a Paging system that would accept/use Ground Start, so Loop Start is your best bet.

Take care,

Rob

Thank you both.

Ground start analog lies are generally used for PBX integration where a 9 is used to access the line. Loop start lines are generally for key systems.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: