cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS2.6 SWIM use current running image as TFTP fallback

troy.lawrence
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to know how this works. Lab tested selecting reload when finished and use current running image as TFTP fallback. SWIM job started, I waited for the flash file to show deleted on my 2811, then issued a reload command.

Device is in rommon mode.

Is this option only for corrupt images ?

Running image is in repository, but should I have selected option to backup the current running image to tftp ?

11 Replies 11

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This option tells RME to copy the image from the repository to the tftpboot directory. If possible, and if the device cannot boot from its flash, it will attempt to net boot from the image on the RME server.

By rebooting the device before the job could finish, RME couldn't add the additional boot command to tell the device to fallback to the TFTP boot image.

Is there a way to test this ?

unless i use a corrupt image, the swim job will be successfull and the device will reload with the new image.

I would like to use this as a fallback vs the xmodem procedures currently known.

Don't select to reload the device in your job. Let the job run to completion, then delete the image on flash yourself. Then reload. It should boot from TFTP.

Last one before I test.

Should I select both or just one of the below options?

Use current running image as TFTP fallback image.

Backup current running image.

You can select both if you want to be extra careful, but the fallback option alone will accomplish what you want to do.

selected only the 'use current running image as TFTP fallback'

upgrade was successfull.

boot-start-marker

boot system flash flash:c2800nm-entservicesk9-mz.124-19.bin

boot system tftp c2800nm-entservicesk9-mz.124-18.bin 223.168.150.26

warm-reboot

boot-end-marker

deleted the file from flash.

issued reload command

Upgrade ROMMON initialized

an alternate boot helper program is not specified

(monitor variable "BOOTLDR" is not set)

and unable to determine first file in bootflash

loadprog: error - on file open

boot: cannot load "tftp:c2800nm-entservicesk9-mz.124-18.bin 223.168.150.26"

c2811 platform with 262144 Kbytes of main memory

Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with ECC enabled

rommon 1 >

Is this the correct IP address for the server? does the image exist in the server's tftpboot directory?

The old file is still in the tftp boot directory

cwsrbqa1:/tftpboot> ls

C2800NM_RM2.srec.124-13r.T5 rep_sw_765676666105472852

c2800nm-entservicesk9-mz.124-18.bin rep_sw_8721821259821398922

rep_sw_765676666105383645

It might help to see a sniffer trace of the router trying to boot off of the network image. This may be a device bug.

Would the Capture Packet from CW works for this or does there have to be a external sniffer in front of the router?

Is this option only feasible for a LAN, or will this actually work over a WAN connection?

The packet capture utility in LMS will work. It should show the TFTP read request coming from the device.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco