cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Span

ronshuster
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 6509's with the following (IOS (tm) s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9-VM), Version 12.2(18)SXF10,

RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1).

I am trying to do a Remote Spanning port , meaning connect a sniffer to a port on core1 (with a monitor session configured) and be able to monitor a port on the other core switch. How can this be achieved?

I figured if a vlan is monitored, it should not make a difference where you connect the sniffer to as it is a logical broadcast domain, is that correct?

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Roni,

RSPAN requires a dedicated Remote Span VLAN that is used for this job.

The Remote span vlan should be defined at layer 2 only on a dedicated link between the two switches (because mac address learning is disabled on it and for bandwidth space)

This Vlan is used as the destination on the switch where there is the source port.

Depending on platform and release a reflector port can be needed (not needed in c6509 if I remember correctly)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

How would the RSPAN config look like, meaning:

If I was to monitor a port on CoreSwitch1 (CS1) using a sniffer on CS2, I need to create a layer 2 vlan on CS1 (which will be learned on CS2 due to VTP advertisements), how would that traffic make it to the monitoring port on the other switch? what would the config look like?

Hello Roni,

look at the following link

www.cisco.com

in the search field type

Configuring Remote Span

pick up a document that applies to your IOS version

for example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.1E/native/configuration/guide/span.html#wp1047048

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: