cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

admin distances

WILLIAM STEGMAN
Level 4
Level 4

I'm preparing a environment where my firewall will create a tunnel to a remote site that I normall access via our WAN, but want to access via a tunnel when that wan connection is down. When my firewall redistributed its static route to 10.10.1.0/24 (the network reachable via the WAN under normal circumstances) via the tunnel(Internet) into eigrp, and then eigrp communicated that to the my wan router, it should have come over with an admin distance of 170 on the wan router. Meanwhile, the hbg wan router should have had a route to 10.10.1.0/24 via eBGP with an admin distance of 20. What happened is my wan router started routing traffic for 10.10.1.0/24 via the firewall instead of the WAN. Why did it choose the eigrp learned route? Is an IGP route preferred over an eBGP route despite the difference in admin distance?

thank you,

Bill

4 Replies 4

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are obsolute right on how the router is choosing the route with the following logic

1) more specific route win

2) lowest admin distance win

3) lowest metric win

Can you post couple show command outputs?

show ip route 10.10.1.0

show ip bgp 10.10.1.0

show ip eigrp top 10.10.1.0 255.255.255.0

Regards,

jerry

thanks, I actually took the route out, because it affected my production network. Having you confirm my understanding helps. I'll try recreating in a a lab or trying again outside business hours.

thanks again

it was a longer mask that caused the route path to change. I was learning about a /16 via BGP, and a /24 via EIGRP.

Good to know. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco