Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 837 Router -Getting an IP Address for a Printer

Geovanni32
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

This is my very first post and I am not technically savvy so please excuse my lack of knowledge. Also, I hope that my topic is in the right forum.

Basically, I am trying to install a printer (Brother MFC 9840CDW) in my network and need to find its IP address. I spoke to a Brother customer service representative and this person was very helpful but stated that I needed to contact Cisco because the router (Cisco 837 Router) was not giving me a correct IP address. I contacted Cisco by phone but was told that I could not be helped because the product was out of warranty. Thus, I am writing to see if anyone here can help me out. Right now the printer gives an IP address starting with 169 and in parenthesis it states via APIPA. The Brother customer service representative told me that the IP address should start with 192 and mentioned DHCP. I have no idea what APIPA or DHCP mean.

Right now the printer is directly connected to the router but I bought a switch (linksys EZXS88W) that I would like to use to connect the printer. But if this complicates things then I will leave the printer connected to the router and will connect other computers to this switch.

If anyone can help me out as to what I need to do, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

-Hector

1 Reply 1

garytayl
Level 3
Level 3

Briefly, you can have a DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol)server in charge of providing IP addresses to the

different devices (DHCP clients, in this case your printer) in any given network. While APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing)

DHCP clients to obtain addresses even in cases when the DHCP server cannot provide one.

Now getting into your problem, you should find a way to get access to that router via telnet (using router's ip) or via console

port in order to capture output of "show arp" command. That might give us some information about what you are looking for.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card