Helpful
Replies

Cisco 877 - Internal DNS routing issue

Panther256
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a long standing isue I could use a hand with. My network topology is:

ADSL connection to a Ciso 877 router. 877 connected to a 3COM baseline switch. All internal network computers and servers connect to the same 3COM switch.

When I try to access my internal web-servers I will sometimes be prompted to login to the 877 instead of being taken to the URL.

I have been living with the problem for about a year now and have overcome it by keeping a HOSTS file updated on all internal network PC's... But I know that shouldn't be necessary.

Anyone have any ideas or comments? I used the 877 wizard initially and if I had no intrnal network it would all work fine.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Jason Fraioli
Level 3
Level 3

Please explain your connection to the webserver. Are you trying to access it from the inside or outside?

Explain how your DNS is setup.

I am trying to connect internally.

We've hypothesized that this may be a DNS issue (forwarders on our internal DNS) but the problem may persist... Still testing. The problem came back after turning off DNS forwarding but then dissappeared a few minutes later.

We'd appreciate any ideas to track down.

Can you post the 877 Configuration . May be there is something in the NAT or DNS .

Make sure that you are able to reach outside without any issue . Also make sure that the DNS configured is resolving correctly on your PC

Regards,

Haris

Ok,

here is a recent config. I removed all sensitive data and masked the addresses.

I guess I am leaning heavily towards a DNS issue at this point. Looking back I realized that by utilizing a HOSTS file the problem disappeared completely for the better part of a year on all the affected systems... Unless the workstations were hitting the gateway for DNS instead of the listed DNS servers somehow.

Thank you for helping, I really appreciate it!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card