Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS issue with NIC teaming

Tahir Ali
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can someone tell me what has the NIC teaming effect on WAAS.

I was preparing a demo for one of my client but before this they were using another popular WAAS product. According to my client, they had a big network issue with NIC teaming, i.e one ip and 2 mac addresses with server loadsharing.

scenario.

Before the demo i just wanted to confirm that WAAS has nothing to do with the above mentioned problem...can anybody confirm...

3 Replies 3

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Tahir,

Without additional detail, it's difficult to say how WAAS will/will not behave. In general, with regards to L2/L3 forwarding, WAAS follows normal IP/TCP semantics. If you have some additional detail on the specific scenario the customer is concerned with, we'd be happy to take a look.

Regards,

Zach

well I don't know much about the scenario but the concerned told me that the logical mac address of the server load sharing matched the optimization box mac address somehow.....i just wanted the surety that someone has tested WAAS with this type of scenario under normal condition.

Hmm... Still not quite sure what your saying. It sounds like by coincidence the other accelerator box got the same IP as one of their servers. They should have been able to fix that quite simple, not to mention test for it by doing the equivalent of "show int" on the box before plugging it in.

Or possibly they had some type of proxy arp configured wrong?

Either way we're running WAAS boxes on our networks that have teaming of NIC's via HP's teaming utility using "Transmit load balancing" on the servers. The WAAS boxes are configured for ether-channeling their NIC's and using WCCP for traffic redirection.

Actually, if you did them using WCCP rather than inline, there definitely shouldn't be a MAC conflict since the WAAS boxes will be on a different subnet at that point. No chance of a problem like that with Layer-3 separation...