CCNA Prep

Answered Question
Jul 21st, 2008

Hi all,

Im new here and plan to take up CCNA exams come December and pass it!. Can anyone suggest to me a list of recommended books/materials/websites/hardware i need in order for me to confidently pass the exam.

P.s. may i add that ive read through the post and received mix messages saying odems book is good or lamlees book is better. i have a moderate knowledge on cisco networking but would like to start from scratch so i could really gain a firm understanding on cisco networking.

Thanks in advance

Khad

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by lrrossi about 8 years 4 months ago

I would try to get 2 of each. You can come up with some great scenarios with that configuration and it should be pretty cheap.

Yes, the ICND Cisco Courseware is the same thing as the Cisco Press books so you are set. Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.

Lou

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
lrrossi Mon, 07/21/2008 - 06:38

Khad,

The best book out there will always be the Cisco Press books that map to the corresponding courseware. Why? Because this is where the material for the test comes.

In this case you will need ICND1:

http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587054620

and ICND2:

http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587054639

As for a lab, you will need a couple of simple routers, I suggest the 1841s if you can get your hands on some, if not the 2514 is still a good little unit that is cheap as all get out :-). You will also need a 2950, NO, 2900XLs will not work.

And for your test prep, please be sure to check out our FREE exams at:

http://www.ccprep.com/FastTracks/

Membership if free at our site and we have an instructor writing questions right now so they are going to cover the latest material.

Good Luck!

Lou Rossi

www.CCPrep.com

A Cisco Learning Partner

khadiman.othman Mon, 07/21/2008 - 17:41

Thanks for your reply. Ive attended ICND 1 Instructor lead course which includes a ICND 1 vol 1 & 2. Are these the cisco press books you mentioned? Im also fortunate to get hold of CCNA study guide, deluxe edition ebook by Todd Lammle. More importantly, im sure i can get hold of a 2950 switch and maybe a 2514 router. Any other router models that will suffice? do i need 2 of each?

many thanks

Khad

Correct Answer
lrrossi Mon, 07/21/2008 - 17:55

I would try to get 2 of each. You can come up with some great scenarios with that configuration and it should be pretty cheap.

Yes, the ICND Cisco Courseware is the same thing as the Cisco Press books so you are set. Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.

Lou

anghesomt Wed, 07/23/2008 - 03:55

Hi Khad,

It is not mandatory to do hands on experience with Cisco switches and routers. What matters is you understand the theorotical aspects of switching and routing. When understanding and reading the books, you have to develop strong troubleshooting skills.

The Cisco press books are very accurate and I recommed you that you have to read and understand every concept. Do not read to many books b/c different authors have different opinions and it will be difficult to correlate.

Best of luck

Anghes

Actions

This Discussion