Views
Helpful
Replies

too much network monitoring tools

philip_john
Level 1
Level 1

hi folks, can anybody help me

actually i have a lot of network monitoring tools in my network like NAM,Cisco works,Hp view,ids,fluke,etc. my concern is that will it hamper my core switch which is 6509, plus i also want to know that what is happening in my core switch,tell me the cmd to know the bandwidth ultilistaion, how the monitoring tools is effecting my network. Is there any means to konw. I will be thankfull to all if u people reply

3 Replies 3

michaelchoo
Level 1
Level 1

Monitoring tools usually use SNMP protocol to "talk" to the devices. There should be very little, if any, performance impact on the devices they're monitoring, regardless of how many tools you use. The only monitoring "tool" that may have performance impact on the switches is NetFlow, although it's not enough cause for concern unless your switch CPU utilisation is already quite high ( > 50%).

Dear Michaelchoo,

Thanks for the response. but i want to actually see what is happening in my core switches using cli other than sh proccess cpu and sh mem. waiting for ur response.

What exactly do you want to see? I do have to admit that when I was doing network support, I was using mainly low-end switches and routers. I only started using large ones when I was in network design and architecture, so I don't know much about monitoring commands on those beasties. :-)

Having said that, though, I recall seeing "show platform" that will provide you, I think, with stats on the switch fabric performance. There're a couple other commands that currently escape me. See if there's "show diag", or "show chassis", or "show system".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: