Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Squid Proxy NTLM Authenticate Overflow: dest ip 0.0.0.0

Hello,

in the IPS Event Viewer I see a lot of messages regarding 'Squid Proxy NTLM Authenticate Overflow'. For a lot of them, the destination ip's are as expected: they point to the addresses of our Proxy servers.

However, I also see a lot of packets with destination ip of 0.0.0.0. What does this mean?

4 Replies 4

wsulym
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

assuming that this is sig 3737-0.

the summary key is Axxx for that signature, and what you are seeing is most likely summary alerts, showing the "attacker" address.

if you look a bit more at the alert itself, you should see something stating that its a summary and that there were X alerts over the past interval.

It seems the signature needs tuning from the Cisco side, we keep seeing it all the time (False Positives). Its detecting this signature for our ISA Server(s) here.

Regards

Farrukh

That signature is for CVE-2004-0541 (4 year old vulnerability), applicable for Squid Web Proxy Cache versions Squid-2.5.STABLE5 and below and the initial 3.x version(s). Current versions of squid cache are 2.7stable4 and 3.0stable8.

If you aren't running squid-cache, you should disable this signature.

I'll do that, Thanks :)

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card