cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Campus Manager Data Collection

dionjiles
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have a problem with Data Collection running a extremely long time.

I only have 300 devices managed and no IP Phones but collection takes 2-3 hours or more to complete. The version I'm running is 5.0.3

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If the device IDs changed, then the devices will not be laid out the same way as before. There is no way to fix that except to manually re-arrange the map.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Data Collection running for a long time could be caused by a few things.

* SNMPv3 in use, but not SNMP contexts for VLAN polling have been configured (thus STP collection will take a long time)

* Numerous unreachable devices, and the SNMP timeouts and retries are high (by default, Campus has a six second timeout with one retry; this will result in a max of 18 seconds per device)

* SNMP community strings which contain '@' ('@' is an invalid character for SNMP community strings on Cisco switches)

* Busy or underpowered server (for this network, your server needs at least 4 GB of RAM and 8 GB of swap; if DFM is on this server, you'll need at least two cores as well)

* Slow network resulting in SNMP polls that don't timeout, but take a long time to return

Those are the most common.

Thanks JClarke,

You seem to have all the right answers.....our read-write community string has an '@'

This is very interesting I guess my next project is to change this.

I had to re-run device discovery to get those devices in Campus Collection as well. All my maps are gone that I had saved for some reason. Is there any way to get around that?

I know that's completely off topic from my initial issue.

If the device IDs changed, then the devices will not be laid out the same way as before. There is no way to fix that except to manually re-arrange the map.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. You would have been proud on the way I had the maps looking :)

Thanks for the info.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: