Adding a new switch on LAN

Unanswered Question
Jul 21st, 2008

Hi,

I want to make sure that I have the right steps when adding a new or old switch to the network……I want to make sure that nothing (like VLANs) is overwritten. Here are the steps that I usually take, but are there any other steps I should be adding to my procedure?

1) set VTP mode to transparent

2) delete vlans.dat

3) upgrade IOS to the latest version

Is there anything other than VLANs that I should watch out for?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
garytayl Mon, 07/21/2008 - 08:29

Make sure that under VTP, the configuration revision is 0. Also, don't let this new switch to become your STP root :-)

francisco_1 Mon, 07/21/2008 - 08:29

yes always make sure the vtp revision number is set to zero by making the switch transparent and once the switch is connected properly, change it to client. no need to delete the vlan.dat because it will be overwritten by the vtp server switch.

Edison Ortiz Mon, 07/21/2008 - 08:44

I recommending doing 2 and 3 off-line. These 2 steps will prepare your switch as if it was just purchased from the manufacturer.

After these 2 steps are completed, change the VTP domain name to match your current domain and set the mode to client.

In client mode, the switch will receive the vlan information from the designated VTP servers.

If you aren't running a server/client environment, then set it to transparent and manually create the Vlans.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Actions

This Discussion