cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco2950 and QoS

murray-davis
Level 1
Level 1

I have a simple network with 4 Catalyst 2940 - 48 port switches with the EI image. We use a BCM400 Nortel VOIP product. VOIP phones are plugged into data jacks and computers into the phones. Here is my current config (reduced) from the switch that connects to the BCM:

nnblsw1# sh run

!

version 12.1

no service pad

service timestamps debug uptime

service timestamps log uptime

service password-encryption

!

hostname nnblsw1

!

no logging on

enable secret xxx

!

clock timezone MST -7

clock summer-time MDT recurring 2 Sun Mar 2:00 1 Sun Nov 2:00

ip subnet-zero

!

spanning-tree mode pvst

no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission

spanning-tree extend system-id

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

switchport mode trunk

!

interface FastEthernet0/2

description BCM400 LAN connection

switchport mode access

!

interface FastEthernet0/30

description WAN Connection

switchport mode trunk

speed 10

duplex full

!

interface FastEthernet0/46

description BCM VOIP connection

switchport access vlan 2

switchport mode access

!

interface FastEthernet0/48

switchport mode trunk

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

switchport mode trunk

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/2

switchport mode trunk

!

interface Vlan1

ip address 192.168.11.117 255.255.255.0

no ip route-cache

!

ip default-gateway 192.168.11.1

ip http server

logging trap debugging

logging facility daemon

logging 10.1.10.105

snmp-server community ?123! RO

nnblsw1#

Note, all ports except the port that plugs into the BCM VOIP port are in VLAN 1. I want to enable QoS on the catalyst switches. I read through the Configuring QoS document from Cisco, but I am more that a little confused. My goal is to give VOIP traffic a higher priority than data traffic.

4 Replies 4

michaelchoo
Level 1
Level 1

The simplest way is to configure AutoQoS on the appropriate ports, which will generate all the necessary QoS configurations on the switch. Simply invoke the "auto qos voip trust" command on the interface connected to the BCM as well as on the inter-switch link(s).

Is there not two parts of this and should not the auto qos voip trust command be done at the global config level, i.e.

config t

auto qos voip trust

mls qos trust cos

You need to apply auto qos to all interface where a phone could be connected.

interface range fa0/1 - 48

auto qos voip trust

mls qos trust dscp

priority-queue out

You don't need to apply these commands to trunk ports, but you can, it won't hurt anything. Also note that Nortel uses CS3 for call signaling, where Cisco uses CS5. You'll need to remap or change the BCM to match Cisco.

remapping

mls qos srr-queue output dscp-map queue 1 threshold 3 31 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

mls qos srr-queue input dscp-map queue 2 threshold 3 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 40

Hope that helps.

I think you are a little confused there Coling ;o)

The switch in question is a 2950, the commands you posted are for the 2960, 3560 & 3750. You also state Nortel uses CS3 for Call Signalling and Cisco use CS5. It is actually the other way around Nortel use CS5 (by default) and Cisco use either CS3 or AF31 by default depending on software version and what hardware.

I personally wouldn't use Auto-QoS as I don't believe the configuration it generates will suit a lot of scenarios. I prefer to put the extra mile in and configure it manually.

Queuing on the 2950 is Global and is configured with the command 'wrr-queue'. There are 4 egress queues per interface and only CoS values can be mapped to queues (map the internal DSCP value to CoS and then CoS to queue). By default all 4 queues have the same weight:

wrr-queue bandwidth 25 25 25 25

Queue 4 can be an expedite queue if you make it's weight 0. This is the configuration I have on a 2950 EI:

wrr-queue bandwidth 5 25 70 0

wrr-queue cos-map 1 1

wrr-queue cos-map 2 0

wrr-queue cos-map 3 2 3 4 6 7

wrr-queue cos-map 4 5

Here I have given Queue 1 5% of the scheduler, Queue 2 25%, Queue 3 70% and Queue 4 is an expedite queue. I have also changed the CoS-to-Queue mappings so CoS 1 goes to Queue 1, CoS 0 to Queue 2, CoS 2,3,4,6, & 7 to Queue 3 and CoS 5 to Queue 4.

The 2950 is unique amongst the IOS Catalysts in that QoS cannot be turned off, also it doesn't remark CoS & DSCP to 0 on untrusted ports. You would need to write a ingress service-policy if you want to remark incoming CoS or DSCP values.

HTH

Andy

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card