cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble adding a secondary ip block to vlan interface using HSRP

jarrettjjackson
Level 1
Level 1

When i add a secondary block to the vlan interface on the MSFC using HSRP the user is not able to ping the secondary ip address range. The question is is the possible to add a secondary ip address to an interface using HSRP and if there is how do i do this?

7 Replies 7

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello jarrett,

you can add secondary ip address to an interface using HSRP.

If you want create an hsrp group for the secondary block you need to add the keyword secondary to the standby program

About pinging check if you have any anti-spoofing ACL configured on your device you need to update it.

About MSFC, I would try to ping the user in the secondary block with an extended ping from MSFC.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

jarrettjjackson
Level 1
Level 1

i have a customer that wants to add a secondary ip block to there existing primary ip block on there interface vlan and they are using hsrp can this be done to where they would be able to use block ip blocks in there network

Hello jarrett,

the answer is yes but you need to advertise the secondary ip blocks adding network commands in your IGP configuration (sorry if this is so clear)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Ok but, what if the msfc is running appletalk routing how would i add the secondary ip block as a static route to the interface vlan

jarrettjjackson
Level 1
Level 1

Customer is wanting to add a secondary ip block to the vlan interface. The routing engine is an MSFC in a catalyst 6509 using cat os. The customer is using hsrp. I am not able to ping the secondary ip address range. The question is is the possible to add a secondary ip address to an interface an if there is how do i do this? I have the config attached.

Hello Jarrett,

I missed the point

just do the following:

interface vlan X

ip address x.x.x.x m.m.m.m secondary

you need to add the secondary keyword at the end to configure a secondary address block

AppleTalk routing shouldn't be a problem is another protocol suite.

Remenber to add a network statement in your routing protocol for the new block

HSRP is not a problem, if you want to provide HSRP for the secondary group you need to use another group number and to add the secondary keyword to the command where you specify the standby address (that must be part of secondary ip subnet)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

jarrettjjackson
Level 1
Level 1

thanks this helped

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card