ISCW OR ONT

Answered Question
Jul 21st, 2008

Hello All,

I recentlly passed my BCMSN and I already have the BSCI bagged as well. I am thinking of doing the ONT before the iscw. My reason is that I currentlly support a CCM cluster at work. Although at the basic level and I have an interest for VOIP technology but want to finish my CCNP track before pursueing that better.

This is my question. Will I miss out on anything knowlegde wise if I do the ONT first? Since have come to understand that following the path BSCI, BCMSN, ISCW and then ONT is the way to go for CCNP status?

Any suggestion / thought welcomed.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by njkelly10 about 8 years 4 months ago

Hi,

I have just completed the CCNP track and passed the ONT exam yesterday. I did the ISCW exam before doing the ONT Exam. To be honest it probably doesn't matter which way you sit the exams really. 80% of the ONT exam is on QOS and the remainder is on VOIP and Wireless stuff so you wont get a chance to show off your experience of Call Manager. One thing I would say in favour of sitting the ISCW exam first is that it covers the Cisco SDM in detail and there are a couple of questions regarding this on the ONT exam. The ISCW exam also covers VPNs in detail and there were questions regarding QOS on VPN tunnels on the ONT exam. (ie, qos pre-classify)

However, apart from those areas there is nothing else you are missing out on by doing the ONT first.

Whatever suits. Another thing to consider is that the ONT exam is much easier than the ISCW exam. In fact it is probably the easiest of all the CCNP exams.

Hope that helps,

Overall Rating: 4.5 (2 ratings)
e.guegain Tue, 07/22/2008 - 16:28

Of all the exams, ISCW curriculum is in my opinion the most practical one and the one I enjoyed learning the most. ONT is mostly QOS. However both can be taken in any order.

Correct Answer
njkelly10 Thu, 07/24/2008 - 00:30

Hi,

I have just completed the CCNP track and passed the ONT exam yesterday. I did the ISCW exam before doing the ONT Exam. To be honest it probably doesn't matter which way you sit the exams really. 80% of the ONT exam is on QOS and the remainder is on VOIP and Wireless stuff so you wont get a chance to show off your experience of Call Manager. One thing I would say in favour of sitting the ISCW exam first is that it covers the Cisco SDM in detail and there are a couple of questions regarding this on the ONT exam. The ISCW exam also covers VPNs in detail and there were questions regarding QOS on VPN tunnels on the ONT exam. (ie, qos pre-classify)

However, apart from those areas there is nothing else you are missing out on by doing the ONT first.

Whatever suits. Another thing to consider is that the ONT exam is much easier than the ISCW exam. In fact it is probably the easiest of all the CCNP exams.

Hope that helps,

babatunde_sanda Thu, 07/24/2008 - 03:57

Thanks for the advice. Congrates on your new status. I think I will go for the ISCW first with what you've said and leave the territory am more familiar with (QOS) last. So I can get the final relief.

Thanks once again and good luck in your future endeavours.

Actions

This Discussion