cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Protocol not in this image

avilt
Level 3
Level 3

I have got new 2801 router and when I configure BGP, it displays the error "protocol not in this image"

-----------------------------------------

Router(config)#router bgp ?

<1-65535> Autonomous system number

Router(config)#router bgp 64514

Protocol not in this image

Router(config)#

----------------------------------------

Router#show ver

Cisco IOS Software, 2801 Software (C2801-IPBASE-M), Version 12.4(16b), RELEASE S

OFTWARE (fc3)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Thu 20-Dec-07 03:43 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 26 minutes

System returned to ROM by reload at 02:12:19 UTC Tue Jul 22 2008

System image file is "flash:c2801-ipbase-mz.124-16b.bin"

Do I need to upgrade the image? If so what the right image and is it going to cost?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

avil

This is a fairly common situation. You ordered the router and it came with the IPBASE feature set (which is the least expensive option when you order). But IPBASE includes some routing protocols but not BGP. So if you need to run BGP then yes you do need to upgrade the IOS to a different feature set. And yes it will cost.

[edit] I just did a check with the Feature Navigator on the Cisco site and it looks like with 12.4 main line code you would need Enterprise Services, Advanced Enterprise Services, or Advanced IP Services feature sets to get support for BGP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

avil

This is a fairly common situation. You ordered the router and it came with the IPBASE feature set (which is the least expensive option when you order). But IPBASE includes some routing protocols but not BGP. So if you need to run BGP then yes you do need to upgrade the IOS to a different feature set. And yes it will cost.

[edit] I just did a check with the Feature Navigator on the Cisco site and it looks like with 12.4 main line code you would need Enterprise Services, Advanced Enterprise Services, or Advanced IP Services feature sets to get support for BGP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You only have ipbase image, think you need at least ipplus to run bgp . You would have to contact a cisco retailer for cost.

avil

I am glad that my response did resolve your question. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that there was a response which did resolve the question.

The forum is an excellent place to learn Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I have the cisco CCO ID and I could download the IOS image c2801-entservicesk9-mz.124-21.bin

Can I use this image on the new router with out notifying Cisco Vendor? I am just concerned about the licensing issue.

avil

To abide by the terms of the license and to remain legal you should work with the vendor and pay a license upgrade fee. If you have privileges to download software from CCO then you could down load the new feature set and load it and it would run. But doing so will violate the terms of the license. I can only advise you to remain legal and pay the license upgrade fee.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I do have the same problem on 4507 switch.

Below I am sharing the logs from the switch, please advise how can I enable BGP on this.

Uptime for this control processor is 31 weeks, 1 day, 20 hours, 26 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System restarted at 22:03:03 CDT Sat Oct 29 2022
System image file is "bootflash:cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.08.10.E.152-4.E10.bin"
Jawa Revision 7, Snowtrooper Revision 0x0.0x1C

NAME: "Supervisor(slot 3)", DESCR: "Sup 7-E 10GE (SFP+), 1000BaseX (SFP) with 4 SFP+ Ports"
PID: WS-X45-SUP7-E     , VID: V04  , SN: CAT1726L49A

NAME: "Supervisor(slot 4)", DESCR: "Sup 7-E 10GE (SFP+), 1000BaseX (SFP) with 4 SFP+ Ports"
PID: WS-X45-SUP7-E     , VID: V04  , SN: CAT1726L4C0

License Store: Primary License Storage
StoreIndex: 0 Feature: ipbase  Version: 1.0
      License Type: Permanent
      License State: Active, In Use
      License Count: Non-Counted
      License Priority: Medium
License Store: Dynamic License Storage
License Store: Primary License Storage
License Store: Dynamic License Storage
StoreIndex: 0 Feature: entservices  Version: 1.0
      License Type: Evaluation
        Evaluation total period: 8 weeks 4 days
        Evaluation period left: 8 weeks 4 days
      License State: Active, Not in Use, EULA not accepted
      License Priority: None
StoreIndex: 1 Feature: entservices  Version: 1.0
      License Type: PermanentRightToUse
      License State: Inactive
StoreIndex: 2 Feature: ipbase  Version: 1.0
      License Type: Evaluation
        Evaluation total period: 8 weeks 4 days
        Evaluation period left: 8 weeks 4 days
      License Priority: None
StoreIndex: 3 Feature: ipbase  Version: 1.0
StoreIndex: 4 Feature: lanbase  Version: 1.0
      License State: Active, Not in Use, EULA not accepted

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card