cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.0 requirment

eliaspaulos
Level 1
Level 1

I'm to write a business case for LMS 3.0 upgrade. I have read system requirement. but I hear also on real world different suggestion. I have almost 2800 Cisco devices switch and router. I have also close to 2500 Cisco access point. our end devices close to 50,000. base on this how many server do I need to run Ciscoworks efficiently. power full server vs multiple server jut meet the minimum requirement.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jason Davis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Eliaspaulos, you might be interested to note that CiscoWorks LMS 3.1 is out now.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.1/device_support/table/lms31sdt.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.1/install/guide/overview.html#wp1055352

With 2,800 + 2,500 APs (5,300) and 50,000 MAC ports to manage you're going to need LMS 3.1 and the >5,000 device scalability. You'll end up putting Common Services and RME on one beefy server. The other components can go on another server, but even DFM and Campus manager have different scalability requirements.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.1/install/guide/prereq.html

This isn't an easy question that is answered on a forum like this. You should get with your sales SE to map out a solution. Or work with your Advanced Services contact.

View solution in original post

If you choose to manage standalone APs in LMS, they count against the total device count. If you only add the WLSE to LMS, then you can only get wireless end hosts via the WLSE (but LMS will not track inventory, topology, etc.). The upside of this, of course, is that you are not eating up available devices with APs. And yes, the WLSE does provide a lot of services that LMS provides in addition to offering wireless-specific templates and services.

The upside of managing all APs in LMS is that you have one application in which you can do your inventory, software, config, topology, and user management.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are the APs standalone, or are they managed via a wireless LAN controller? Are you looking for Solaris or Windows?

they are control by via a wireless LAN controller, we just start use it.

we are looking Solaris.

Then the APs don't do anything to your device count. Essentially, you have 2800 devices. You could do this all on one server. I would suggest a multi-processor UltraSPARC IV system with 8 GB of RAM. If you go with LMS 3.1 instead of 3.0 (you really should do this), then you can also opt for a ZFS file system (Solaris 10) which will allow you to scale file system space much more easily. This is a rough profile.

There are a lot of new features supported in LMS 3.1 with Solaris (like virtualization), so you should get with your sales team to hammer out a more concrete server requirement.

thanks J. I'm suffered with all devices with out LAN controller. literally it takes 1-2 minute to load each page on LMS. That all my intention to Avoid the slowness on my future upgrade with room for the future.

I have late question, regarding Cisco access point, i just learn not all AP on Lan controller currently we have mixed environment. we have 20 location with controller but other 80 and so location still stand alone. how this affect me device count or management on LMS 3.1. License or server extra. thanks again!

Standalone APs will be managed by LMS as devices. They will be impacting to resources as APs are fully managed by each application of LMS. If you're looking at 2000 (80%) standalone APs, you should really consider moving Campus Manager and DFM to their own servers. IPM can live on either of those two servers.

our AP managed by WLSE, is that necessary to managed by LMS also.looks to me WLSE do almost

the same thing as LMS. on that case can I turn of AP not managed by LMS? as I see those thing not only affecting server issue but also license issue! because if all our AP counted as device we have almost 4800 devices with 50000 license we have very few space for future growth.what's the pros or cons not to managed AP by LMS untill all our AP managed by WLAN manager that may take few years.

If you choose to manage standalone APs in LMS, they count against the total device count. If you only add the WLSE to LMS, then you can only get wireless end hosts via the WLSE (but LMS will not track inventory, topology, etc.). The upside of this, of course, is that you are not eating up available devices with APs. And yes, the WLSE does provide a lot of services that LMS provides in addition to offering wireless-specific templates and services.

The upside of managing all APs in LMS is that you have one application in which you can do your inventory, software, config, topology, and user management.

Jason Davis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Eliaspaulos, you might be interested to note that CiscoWorks LMS 3.1 is out now.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.1/device_support/table/lms31sdt.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.1/install/guide/overview.html#wp1055352

With 2,800 + 2,500 APs (5,300) and 50,000 MAC ports to manage you're going to need LMS 3.1 and the >5,000 device scalability. You'll end up putting Common Services and RME on one beefy server. The other components can go on another server, but even DFM and Campus manager have different scalability requirements.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.1/install/guide/prereq.html

This isn't an easy question that is answered on a forum like this. You should get with your sales SE to map out a solution. Or work with your Advanced Services contact.

Thanks, I know the final assessment will be by SE but now at least to estimate the general expense range for upgrade.I have estimate for the application but no Idea about server expense.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: