cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A question about "End Host Report"

HWangLoyalty_2
Level 1
Level 1

We use lots of Vmware ESX servers in our company. It could simulate several servers with virtual NICs.We have to setup physical switch port connected them as trunk mode.

But I found we could not find them with end host report. Is this normal? how could I fix it? Thanks

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

By default, end hosts on trunk ports are not acquired by User Tracking. In fact, there is no way to acquire end hosts on trunk ports using Campus Manager < 5.0. In Campus Manager 5.0, there is a new GUI to allow end host acquisition on certain trunk ports. That UI can be found at User Tracking > Administration > Acquisition > Configure Trunk for End Hosts Discovery.

Fortunately,we use CM5.0 and we just found this option according to your information. If I open this option for all distribution layer switch(only connected servers), could it cause issue of performance? like too much traffic to network infrastructure or to ESX servers? Thanks again!

The most likely problem this feature would cause is duplicate entries in UT. Be careful to ONLY enable this on ports which really contain end hosts. If you enable it on ports that connect to other switches, you will certainly see a lot of duplicate entries. The more duplicates, the more resources taken up by UT.