Views
Helpful
Replies

how to free up some space on LMS 2.6 server

eliaspaulos
Level 1
Level 1

is there any files can be deleted from

/var/adm/CSCOpx/files directory I got this out put almost 100% full, don't have any other partition.

> # df -F ufs -o i

> Filesystem iused ifree %iused

> /dev/md/dsk/d10 3152371 13 100% /

I'm planning upgrade but in the mean time my config archive job failed more than that can't do netconfig job. any temporary solution?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I don't understand. You may need to upload some CLI logs that show what you did and what the results were.

Make sure you throw some 'df -lk' commands in there.

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Everything under dcma/difffiles can be removed. Nothing else can simply be deleted. You will need to go through the GUI, and configure config purging (RME > Admin > Config Mgmt) and Job purging (RME > Admin > System Preferences > Job Purge). Typically, difffiles alone would recover a lot of inodes.

all diff files deleted. my purg setting is

Maximum versions to retain: 3 --

Purge versions older than: 3 Months --

is this too much?

I did purg everything on RME system preference.

looks like I'm on dead end, still 100% full.

thank you so much for your help

3 GB is too small for CiscoWorks LMS. I'd suggest expanding the partition or re-installing to get more space.

How many devices are you managing?

Are you doing LMS backups to the same partition? (Not recommended)

we have 70 Gib mirrored, we don't have any left over partition move around the only thing is should be rebuild on new big hard drive.currently CW partition is only 58% full but the system partition is 100%.I'm going to new sever and LMS 3.1 in few weeks. just looking temp fix.the previous Admin did wrong back up on the same drive!!

I can't tell you what is too much. What I can say is that if your company madates three months of config revisions, then you can't purge any more than that. Of course, since you're out of inodes on this file system, you won't be able to create any new files, so you are in trouble.

My best advice is to quickly find some more space. Consider relocating the config archive and software image repository to a different file system. These can be done under RME > Admin > Config Mgmt > Archive Settings and RME > Admin > Software Mgmt > View/Edit Preferences respectively. That should hopefully get you more inodes to work with for job logs.

Jason Davis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I may have misread your output, so take my earlier comments with a grain of salt. *grin*

Can you provide

df -lk (Solaris 8,9) or

df -lh (Solaris 10)

Free inodes aren't as useful as real byte count.

I have attached the df -lk output. thank you.

So you're not out of disk-space, per that info. You're out of inode, per your earlier 'df' output.

Your /cw2000 partition is about 32GB. That might be a bit too small, depending on how many devices you're managing and how long you'd like to retain data.

yes my inode is 100% full. my Cw2000 partition 58% full.my problem is I have been told, there is no way to free up the inode. unless I have to rebuild the server!!

Yes, you have to rebuild this server. Lumping everything under / is a bad idea. Now that you've run out of inodes in /, you cannot create any new files for your OS. This could lead to corruption, or OS crashes.

Just as a rough guide, here's what I do for my lab servers. I'm not saying you should do the same, but note the separation of file systems:

/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 1.4G 143M 1.2G 11% /

/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s3 27G 3.3G 23G 13% /usr

/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s4 997M 207M 730M 23% /var

swap 15G 117M 15G 1% /tmp

swap 15G 64K 15G 1% /var/run

slate/home 89G 262M 83G 1% /export/home

slate/opt 89G 5.2G 83G 6% /opt

slate/var_CSCOpx 89G 587M 83G 1% /var/adm/CSCOpx

Inodes are allocated based on file system size, so the more space, the more available inodes. Consider that file systems like /var and especially /var/adm/CSCOpx will create a lot of files over time thus requiring a lot of inodes.

Joe mentioned earlier what other dcma files that can be deleted. He also mentioned how you can move the storage of some other components (shadow directory, image repository) can be moved elsewhere. Those would be good thing to check.

I'd also encourage you to look at /var and root (/) more broadly, not just with CW-LMS. That root partition is out of inodes which means you have broader server issues. Maybe you have old server patch install remnants that can be removed from /var and the overall root (/) partition.

can I move shadow directory, image repository to

/dev/md/dsk/d30 36310820 18498531 17449181 52% /cw2000 to this CW2000 partition? this part only 52% full. thank you so much for your continuous help.

This is not recommended, but it can be done provided the directories are not pre-existing. That is, you would need to create new directories such as config_archive and swim_repo under NMSROOT.

thank you so much, another one what about /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma/devfiles this one is took almost everything, looks like config file store here? but the date is from back 2006 to 2008. my question is if really this is a data or a log can I backup on DVD or something and can I delete? or any suggestion about this directory files????

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: