cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 stacked

mikegrous
Level 3
Level 3

I have an exsisting 3750 and will be adding a second via the stack cable. I realize that they need to run the same code. I should power them off, hook them up, then boot them. I also realize that the interfaces will change IE from fa 1/0 to fa 1/0/1 etc. Now with that said, what will happen to the exsisting config that is there? Will it all migrate over except for the interface commands?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Normally, this goes seamlessly.

When the switches are both running the same feature-set the flash will be updated automatically upon boot.

Interface numbering should be no problem either. All you need to do is connect the stacking cable and then power the second switch. Beware that it is done in exactly this order and not the other way round!

The primary switch will then become stack master and keep it's interfacenumbering. The new switch will become 2/0/1 - 24 (or 48)

You can monitor the process via the console, do not interfere with it.

Perhaps you should also check the URL below before you start:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml

regards,

Leo

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Normally, this goes seamlessly.

When the switches are both running the same feature-set the flash will be updated automatically upon boot.

Interface numbering should be no problem either. All you need to do is connect the stacking cable and then power the second switch. Beware that it is done in exactly this order and not the other way round!

The primary switch will then become stack master and keep it's interfacenumbering. The new switch will become 2/0/1 - 24 (or 48)

You can monitor the process via the console, do not interfere with it.

Perhaps you should also check the URL below before you start:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml

regards,

Leo

Thanks for the reply as well as the link. I Shall read it. Thanks again.

You're welcome.

Thank you for rating my post!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card