Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to ping VLAN - IP

Hi,

I have Cisco 6509 switch. I have to

create a /28 network. I have created a L2 VLAN & a L3 VLAN. I am not able to ping to the switch VLAN IP. What might be the problem ?

7 Replies 7

The output of sh int vlan gives :

Vlan is down, line protocol is down

You have not created the vlan in the vtp database. Please refer to the URL below to configure this.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vlans.html

I am pretty confident that this will resolve your problem. ;-)

regards,

Leo

Both L2 & L3 VLAN are created & I do see the vlan as "active" in "Sh vlan " output.

Did you actually perform the config below?

Router# vlan database

Router(vlan)# vlan vlan_ID

Router(vlan)# exit

Your description is typical for having not, so please check the link I sent you and verify that the "show interface vlan xx" reports up/up as the status.

regards,

Leo

Leo,

I have created it exactly the way mentioned. No change seen.

Also, when I see the vlan status as "active" in "sh vlan" output; doesn't it mean that the L2 status is up ?

Regards,

Deepa

I would think so, yes but that does not explain you seeing what you wrote in your second post: The output of sh int vlan gives : Vlan is down, line protocol is down

That vlan can only be down when there are no ports (including trunks) that forward this vlan. The only situation that can possibly explain that would be when there is only one port that carries the vlan and this port is not connected.

This means you may have connected to the wrong port; a non-existing vlan seemed like a more plausible cause.

regards,

Leo

Thanks I'll check that

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: