Views
Helpful
Replies

Reg: C2948G-GE-TX

kuldeep.kaur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have a 2948g-ge-tx switch. It says the supervisor module has failed. I dont have physical access to the switch and form the web I found out that it is a fixed configuraiton switch.

show module

Mod Slot Ports Module-Type Model Sub Status

--- ---- ----- ------------------------- ------------------- --- --------

1 1 0 Switching Supervisor WS-X2948G-GE-TX no faulty

2 1 52 10/100/1000 Ethernet WS-C2948G-GE-TX no ok

It is operating normally. What effect will it have if I do not replace it. The next question is how to replace it. Do i have to replace the whole switch or there is a supervisor module on the switch which I have to replace may be inside the switch. From outside I can see is only a 48 port switch.

Tks

2 Replies 2

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

It's a fixed-configuration switch so you are unlikely to be able to replace the supervisor inside of it. As far as I know, these devices are no longer supported by Cisco either.

Considering the age of the device, buying something new not would be unappropriate.;-) If you are unwilling to spend money on that, your best bet would be to achieve one from the refurbished or second-hand circuit.

regards,

Leo

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have to replace the whole switch . Without looking at the logs to see what the matter is it is hard to say. Sometimes these boxes will get a sdram error and powering it all the way off and back on will fix them . But you also risk the possibility that it might not reboot due to whatever error it is seeing .

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card