cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

risk in the use "Hwic 4 esw" to connect the internet?

rontzur
Level 1
Level 1

I am connected to Internet by router 2811 of Cisco. My connection to Internet is Eth from the provider and I want to connect an additional line to Internet to anther provider.

can i use "Hwic 4 esw" card ? or it is a risk in the use of this "Hwic 4 esw" with regard to the Internet?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

HWIC-1FE is a wan routed port and has better wan QoS capability than the Hwic 4 esw which is a switch port. If it is a simple internet connection with no QoS the "Hwic 4 esw" is good enough.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

rskrzek
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

what kind of risk You thinking about? IMHP is no any risk.

regards

romek

Hello and thanks for the answer!

I search an answer if there is a difference between the hwic with respect to a security or quality of use.

My connection to Internet is E1 from the provider and I want to connect an additional line to Internet to anther provider.

Both cards are Ethernet the different in cost is "HWIC-1FE" 4 times more. Is it necessary t use the "HWIC-1FE" or I can use "Hwic 4 esw" , If there is a risk in the use of this "Hwic 4 esw" with regard to the Internet?

thanks

ron

In the other words what the difference are basic between two of the wic?

Hello,

HWIC-4ESW is Layer 2 switch pluged in to router. You can define VLANs and inter-VLAN routing, but this is routing based on router engine, not hardware. 100 Mbps routing on this HWIC is bad ideabut if Your ISP is not 100 Mbps..... ;)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t8/feature/guide/esw_cfg.html

HWIC-1FE is normal router fastethernet port, no VLAN is needed to use it.

regards

romek

hi and Thanks

for the answer!

ron

HWIC-1FE is a wan routed port and has better wan QoS capability than the Hwic 4 esw which is a switch port. If it is a simple internet connection with no QoS the "Hwic 4 esw" is good enough.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card