Views
Helpful
Replies

Intermittent connectivity with WLC 526

harveyparish
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have recently installed a WLC526. We have an issue whereby the unit becomes unpingable via its management address and wireless connectivity is lost untill the unit is rebooted. This will happen every few hours. Console connectivity is unaffected - the device does not seem to have crashed.

The 526 has now been replaced but this has not resolved the issue. Any ideas?

More information - the WLC is connected to a pair of Catalyst 3560s. One port is connected to an access port on the switch and has untagged management and ap-manager interfaces, the second port is connected to a trunk and has a single tagged interface for the user vlan. We used the console startup wizard and GUI to do the configuration, not the Cisco Configuration Assistant.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

timsmith
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What controller software version are you running? Typically its better to just use one connection (trunked) to the wlc from your switch for all of your traffic, then to try to split off user and management/ap manager traffic due to how the controller handles traffic flows.

View solution in original post

OK, you are running the current code level which is good. The wlc526 does not support any type of link aggregation. Typically, I have folks just setup a trunk port to the wlc526 and have all the vlan go over that link instead of using multiple ports. I've seen some instability using 1 port for user traffic and another port for management/ap manager traffic.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

timsmith
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What controller software version are you running? Typically its better to just use one connection (trunked) to the wlc from your switch for all of your traffic, then to try to split off user and management/ap manager traffic due to how the controller handles traffic flows.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. It's running 4.2.61.8.

Are you suggesting we leave the other port unused then? I couldn't find that the 526 supported any kind of link aggregation.

OK, you are running the current code level which is good. The wlc526 does not support any type of link aggregation. Typically, I have folks just setup a trunk port to the wlc526 and have all the vlan go over that link instead of using multiple ports. I've seen some instability using 1 port for user traffic and another port for management/ap manager traffic.

Thanks, I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on. Is it preferred that ap-manager and management interfaces are in the same subnet/vlan?

yes, its fairly common to have both the management and AP manager in the same vlan.

Changed to use a single trunk port over 4 days ago and have not seen any issues. The previous 'record' was about 8 hours. Looks like this was the solution! Very many thanks.

glad I was able to help..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card