cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't Call PSTN number via ICT

lumguanyuan
Level 1
Level 1

I had setup 2 cluster accross 2 contry. This 2 cluster used Non gatekeeper ICT trunk. In country A, Created 2 device pool with 2 region called DevicePoolA, RegionA, DevicePoolB and RegionB. Set within regios use G711 and other region use G729. Assign DevicePoolB to ICT in CountA ICT. In country B, created same device pool and region. Assign DevicePoolA to CountryB ICT.

Onnet call from CountryA to CountryB use G729 codec and this is correct codec.

However, When I call CountryB PSTN number via ICT from countyA the call drop by itself. Receiving party see a miss call show in phone. But the call can't establish.

How do I troubleshoot this problem? I suspect codec problem.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The first question is do you have a xcode configured in your network? Do you actually know what a xcoder is?

A xcoder helps you to terminate calls between two disparate voip streams. What that means is that when a call originates with a codec different from the terminating endpoint or the destination, then you will need a xcoder to change the codec use, so both ends can use same codecs.

To configure a xcoder, you will need to have addtional dsps/pvdms on your voice gateway. You will then need to confgiure this xcdoer to register with callmanager.

Finally, you will need to assign the xcoder to a MRG adn then assign your ICT trunk to the MRGL containing the MRG.

Here is a link that gives u a step by step guide on how to use a xcoder

http://cco.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00807f8b30.shtml

Please rate all useful posts

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the PSTN connection in country B?

If PRI post "debug isdn q931" results.

Are you properly stripping/prefixing digits along the way?

Chris

if the phone rings most probably the routing and patterns are fine, you're right to think codecs must be the issue.

if for testing purposes you change that to G711 does it work?

or if you add a XCODER to the MRGL from the terminating GW does it work?

HTH

javalenc

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

It work fine if i change to G711. Any other setting i can fine tune?

it sounds Xcoding problem

because when u change the codec to g711 worked

so try to allocate resources on site b for the xcoding

bythe way why u assigned devicepool A t ICT in site B and vice versa?

i think it should be applied in the rverse direction

i mean device pool A to ICT on site A and devPOOL B to ICT in site B

am i correct?

good luck

Hi Marwanshwi,

Thank you so much for the reply.

Actually I quite new in cisco VOIP. My objective is any call between 2 country using G729 codec to save bandwidth. So I though need to use device pool and region to separate ICT. Correct me I am wrong.

If I assign device pool A to countryA ICT then all the between 2 country using G711 and tested work no problem.

You mention allocate resource on site b for xcoding. You mean is assing more trancoding resouce on site B. Can you give more information to me.

first u said that u assigned the ICT site A devpool B

and ICT site B devpool A

make it in the opesit direction

ICT site A device pool A

ICT in site B device pool B

and make the codec with site g711

and between sites g729

also have you assigned the remote pstn gate way to any device pool

in this case it need to be in device pool B as it on the remote site B

try it and let me know

Current setting is what you mention now.

CountryA use DevicePoolA and CountryB use DevicePoolB.

CountryA ICT assing DevicepoolA and CountryB ICT assing to DevicepoolB.

In CoutryA gateway assign to CountryA devicepoolA and CountryB assign to devicepoolB.

Region is within a region use G711 and G729 for out the region.

If I configure this way pstn call between ICT is G711 without any problem.

How Do I change from G711 to G729 via ICT?

Thank you so much for patient with me.

in countryB E1 is a PSTN connect. Any PSTN call initial from countryB to the vgateway without any problem. I did the debug q931 in countryB vgateway, the calling number and called number is correct. Because the receiving party phone ring then disconnect.

on the GW where calls are routed add a XCODER, it's that easy.

you do have codec issues and the only way to fix it is to use G711 all the way or add a XCODER

PSTN uses G711 so if you call from a trunk with G729 it's expected it fails if not using a XCODER. i bet calls from country B to that GW use g711

HTH

javalenc

HTH

java

Hi Javelenc,

If I use G711 for ICT then it work fine. From countryB to GW using G711 it work fine also.

Sorry, Because i am new in cisco voice, how do i and where do I add the xcoder.

The first question is do you have a xcode configured in your network? Do you actually know what a xcoder is?

A xcoder helps you to terminate calls between two disparate voip streams. What that means is that when a call originates with a codec different from the terminating endpoint or the destination, then you will need a xcoder to change the codec use, so both ends can use same codecs.

To configure a xcoder, you will need to have addtional dsps/pvdms on your voice gateway. You will then need to confgiure this xcdoer to register with callmanager.

Finally, you will need to assign the xcoder to a MRG adn then assign your ICT trunk to the MRGL containing the MRG.

Here is a link that gives u a step by step guide on how to use a xcoder

http://cco.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00807f8b30.shtml

Please rate all useful posts

Hi Aokanalawon,

Thank you with the patient with me.

In ICT trunk, Which MRGL I should assign local or remote site?

Thanks

neither, the GW is the one that needs the XCODER, not the ICT. add the resources locally to site B and a MRGL with the XCODER to the terminating GW

HTH

javalenc

HTH

java

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: