cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phones Hanging

gsimpson01
Level 1
Level 1

I have a few IP phones at my organization that are hanging in the configuring IP state. I've check my DHCP/DNS and including the IP scope.I have plenty of IP addressed to hand out, so I don't know what's happening. Cany anyone help me with this?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

So if the phones are pingable, then they get IP. Does the correct TFTP server appear in the network settings on the phone, for example on 7960 press settings - option 3 - option 8.

Can you ping the phone from the Callmanager.

Is this a Callmanager or Callmanger express.

View solution in original post

Hello again,

This is your problem, go back to the settings and press **#, you will then find that you can edit this field with the edit softkey, add the ip address of the TFTP server which is usually the ip address of callmanager.

Press the save softkey and then reboot your phone.

Hope this helps, please rate.

Regards,

Justin

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

dhccoid.com
Level 1
Level 1

How far do they get, do they get an IP address, is the TFTP option correct?

No, they do not get an ip address. They hang up when configuring the IP.

You need to look at your switch configuration, are the phones in the correct Vlan. Where is the DHCP server in relation to the phones?

Supply as much info as you can.

I will look at my switch configuration. As far as the Vlan port, yes. My DHCP server is in the same room with my call managers, just in a different rack, and all phones are in the same building. about 37 phones are working fine and 3 are hanging up.

Try manually configuring IP etc on the phones and then see if you can ping them from the DHCP server

Is your DHCP server in a different vlan? If so,do you have the dhcp helper address specified for the phone vlan? If not, you will need this for it to work.

Also, try configure a dhcp pool for the voice network on switch. If this work, then the phones are having problems contact your DHCP server.

Please rate this post.

gsimpson01
Level 1
Level 1

Re-IP phone hanging at configuring IP state:

Ok, so I have more details although things just seem to get weirder the more I discover. Ok so first off, I have the same problem with multiple phones (models 7910, 7912, 7960). I have the same problem no matter where these phones are plugged in. Here is what happens:

The phone reboots

It displayes "Configuring VLAN"

It then displays "Configuring IP"

It hangs there for a while and then does the whole thing all over again.

While the phone is displaying "Configuring IP" it is pingable however the ping times to it are all about 70ms while ping times to any other phone are the standard 1ms or less. Let me know if you have any thoughts on all that. Thanks so much!

So if the phones are pingable, then they get IP. Does the correct TFTP server appear in the network settings on the phone, for example on 7960 press settings - option 3 - option 8.

Can you ping the phone from the Callmanager.

Is this a Callmanager or Callmanger express.

Try resetting the phone to factory settings, I've resolved this issue before with this easy fix. This issue is usually a DHCP issue but to quickly remove the dhcp lease on the phone and restart this is much easier.

Unplug the phone and plug it back in, when you plug it back in hold down the # key until you see the line indicators flashing. Then press 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,#, your phone will reboot and redownload the firmware and configuration.

Hope this helps, please rate if so

Regards,

Justin

Hi Justin,

I tried the reset thing, but it didn't seem to work for me. I am going to go ahead and lookup my particular models and try again though. Thanks for the advice, I will let you know how it goes.

Gabe

Ok, the 7912 is just slightly different, but I did find the instructions for factory defaults and tried it. No Luck.

Thanks for the continued help...

Yes the phone is pingable from the callmanager - still with the same 65 ms ping times even though they are on the same VLAN and probably the same physical switch.

We do have callmanager not callmanager express

And the TFTP server option in the phone is blank. Almost all of the other blanks are populated with information that looks correct but TFTP Server 1 and TFTP Server 2 are both blank.

Hello again,

This is your problem, go back to the settings and press **#, you will then find that you can edit this field with the edit softkey, add the ip address of the TFTP server which is usually the ip address of callmanager.

Press the save softkey and then reboot your phone.

Hope this helps, please rate.

Regards,

Justin

Thanks so much! You were exactly right. Just for anyone else who is having a similar problem, here is what happened. I was not able to edit the TFTP Server 1 field (no edit option - even when unlocked), but I could edit the TFTP Server 2 field. So I put the CallManager's IP in that blank, saved and rebooted. Upon rebooting it showed Configuring VLAN, Configuring IP from DHCP, and then Upgrading. After upgrading it atomatically rebooted and now it works fine. Thanks so much for the help. I really, really appreciate it!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: