Missing Boot loader

Unanswered Question
Jul 23rd, 2008

Yet another CCNA lab drama here. I have a 2503 router that seems to be in a continual boot loop as all I see from a console conenction is:

System Bootstrap, Version 4.14(9.1), SOFTWARE

Copyright (c) 1986-1994 by cisco Systems

2500 processor with 4096 Kbytes of main memory

A quick google search mentions it could be a missing boot loader, but only mentions this as a symptom on Catalyst 6000 switches. Anybody seen this and know of the cause and fix?

Thanks

Dean

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
glenn.mazibuko@... Mon, 07/28/2008 - 03:55

Hi Dean

I also had a more similar problem with 2500 router not being able to load the IOS. After changing and playing around with systems loader to no avail.My problem occured when I was upgrading the IOS, What I did was to reformat the flash and redo IOS upgrade and used the boot system command pointing to the newly loaded file and it worked,maybe you might wanna try doing that and backing-up your current IOS first.

Dean Brandt Mon, 07/28/2008 - 04:04

Hi Glenn, thanks for the tip. How do I reformat the flash from the boot prompt?

glenn.mazibuko@... Tue, 07/29/2008 - 00:03

Hi Dean

Try issuing erase {filename} command from mode and {reload} command to reboot the router then upload the IOS again. for further examples and trouble shooting tools have a look at Cisco support tech web site its very illaborative aswell.

asanemeterio Thu, 07/31/2008 - 03:26

Hi Dean,

Your 2503 router has a problem with the ROM memory. The router can't load the ROMMON and always are trying to boot, the router cannot load the ROMMON. The onlyu solution is cahnge the router

regards

Agusti

Richard Burts Thu, 07/31/2008 - 12:38

Dean

I have had issues with 2500 routers whose symptoms sound similar to yours. I found that sometimes I could resolve the problem by opening the router case and reseating memory/flash. You might give that a try before you give up on the router.

HTH

Rick

Actions

This Discussion