RAM for Module PRP1

Unanswered Question
Jul 23rd, 2008
User Badges:

I have a module PRP1 for Router Cisco 12410, inwhich default RAM is 512MB. I want to upgrade to 1GB, i odered RAM MEM-PRP-1G on Cisco site but i have received MEM-PRP2-1G. My question is: Is MEM-PRP2-1G compatiple with PRP1?. I have look up some document but there is no doc talk about this compatibility. Pls hepl me, thanks

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Giuseppe Larosa Thu, 07/24/2008 - 01:34
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hello Minh,

I remember that in 2004 Cisco was pushing the change to PRP2 by pricing the change less then the memory upgrade in PRP1 (an offer to service providers).

I cannot find any doc for MEM-PRP-1G

Give a look a the following link is of interest

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/12000/12012/maintenance/guide/11656prp.html#wp100020

SDRAM

SDRAM stores routing tables, protocols, and network accounting applications, and runs the Cisco IOS software. The default PRP-1 configuration includes 512 MB of error checking and correction (ECC) SDRAM. DIMM upgrades of 512 MB and 1 GB are available for the PRP-1.

>>>> You cannot mix memory sizes. If two DIMMS are installed, they must be the same memory size.

The default PRP-2 configuration includes 1 GB of ECC SDRAM. DIMM upgrades of 1 GB and 2 GB are available for the PRP-2. You can mix memory sizes as long as the larger DIMM is placed in bank 1 (U15).

Memories are DIMM for both so it should work but you need to remove the 512MB module

Hope to help

Giuseppe

vitaminc1985 Thu, 07/24/2008 - 01:49
User Badges:

Thanks, I have the answer for this question. I used config tool of Cisco to config PRP1 and there is no RAM option of MEM-PRP2-1G for PRP1. I had looked your link carefully before post my last question, but there was no clear information about it.:d.

Thanks for your answer Giuseppe.

Actions

This Discussion