Level 3
Level 3

Hi

R1

|

S

/ \

R2 R3

R1 R2 and R3 are on same switch (network) running BGP, R2 and R3 are running VRRP,

My quest is that should R1 make peer with VRRP address or should R1 make peering with both R2 and R3 real addresses.

I just saw some customer configuration making R1 peering with real addresses as well as VRRP address, that makes me confuse that what could be reason of configuring like this.

Regards,

Umair

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Umair,

That is correct. R1 should peer to R2 and R3 physical address so that both session could be up at the same time.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

lee.reade
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

R1 must peer with the R2 and R3 real addresses.

The TCP session between the two hosts would not get established if R1 tried to peer with the vrrp address, as R2 and R3 would be sourcing their TCP sessions from their real ip address.

HTH

LR

Lee,

The session will come up assuming that R1 initiates the session, in which case the router being the primary would reply with the VRRP virtual address rather than the physical address.

The TCP session would obviously need to be reestablished if a VRRP failover takes place.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Original Q: quest is that should R1 make peer with VRRP address or should R1 make peering with both R2 and R3 real addresses

Yes you need to peer with bothe the pysical active and physical standby in order for VRRP to function

Steven,

I don't see any advantage to use VRRP in this context. VRRP is something that would be used to provide redundancy on a user subnet. Why use VRRP if you have BGP sessions from R1 to both R2 and R3.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

I agree, however I was just answering the initial question as to VRRP peering with both routers

VRRP is running because their are some hosts sits on that network connected to switch where BGP is running.

SO what I get from the above thread is R1 must make peers with R2 and R3 Real address but not VRRP address ? right ????

Regards,

Umair

Umair,

That is correct. R1 should peer to R2 and R3 physical address so that both session could be up at the same time.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card