Views
Helpful
Replies

Parallel P2P IS-Is link

chintan-shah
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Can some body tell me if i have two parallel link between two routers and having IS-Is point to point configure ( /30 network for each link).Does it impact any way if one link fails interms of IS-Is adj and failover time ?

Regards,

Chintan.

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Chintan,

IS-IS is a link state protocol so the router can understand that the same node is at the remote end of both point-to-point links.(the net address is the exactly the same)

The same LSP data structure is sent out both links.

Of course if one link fails an IS-IS adj will go down but your router can still route and forward on the other link.

Both links are used in load-balancing if you don't configure different IS-IS costs.

Convergence is very fast just the time to rebuild the IS-IS adj on the restored link.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

I have one link between two router having /30 and another link between same two router having /30. In that case this two router will have have Adj established on each link i mean both link or only on link. "show clns neighbour" or show isis neighbour" shows me remote router id two times with diff Circuit ID ??

I have been told by some one that it established adj on both link so now i am confused.

Chintan.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card