Views
Helpful
Replies

High Availability

tonyraboza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to design my network such that my server can still be accessible in the event of a network interface failure (on server), cable failure or switch failure. See attached diagram.

For example - the web server is 192.168.1.1. Even if one link fails, or one network interface (on switch or server) fails, or one switch fails - the server (Linux or Windows) can still be accessibble.

What can I use to achieve this? I know there's EtherChannel - but I think it can only do dual connections to a single switch. But what if this single switch fails?

Any recommendations/suggestions?

Thanks,

Tony

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

NIC Teaming in your server. Make sure each NIC is connected to different switch and the switch are connected together.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

NIC Teaming in your server. Make sure each NIC is connected to different switch and the switch are connected together.

rais
Level 7
Level 7

4rmorris
Level 1
Level 1

If the switches are Cisco stackable (3750) switches you can use NIC teaming and create an etherchannel that has one link on each switch. In that setup, you get high availability AND you get twice the bandwidth for the server. 6509 VSS also supports this.

If not, NIC teaming supports active/passive NICs and will move the IP/MAC in case of switch or uplink failure.

Good luck,

R.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card