Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Server got Stucked

newnetman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

For a reason i can not understand my router 2511 just got stucked as seen in the following output. Pressing enter to proceed yield no result.

I trust that looking at this config, someone will be able to help me out, even if i have to loose the current config to mount a new IOS i don't mind.

Thank you all as usual.

16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

*Mar 1 00:00:10.987: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Ethernet0, changed state to up

*Mar 1 00:00:10.991: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0, changed state to down

*Mar 1 00:00:11.359: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial1, changed state to down

*Mar 1 00:00:30.851: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet0, chan

ged state to down

*Mar 1 00:00:35.923: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Ethernet0, changed state to administratively down

*Mar 1 00:00:36.743: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial0, changed state to administratively down

*Mar 1 00:00:37.155: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial1, changed state to administratively down

*Mar 1 00:00:37.359: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console

*Mar 1 00:00:37.887: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0, changed state to down

*Mar 1 00:00:40.599: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial1, changed state to down

*Mar 1 00:01:21.323: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-IS-L), Version 12.3(5b), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 16-Jan-04 01:32 by kellythw

*Mar 1 00:01:21.327: %SNMP-5-COLDSTART: SNMP agent on host Access-Server is undergoing a cold start

21 Replies 21

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

As far as I can see, this is a fairly normal reboot. Your console might be stuck.

Login to the box via telnet and do a "clear lin con 0".

Also, note that this is not the device's configuration, just the log.

Leo

Hello Leo,

I'm most grateful for your response. Unfortunately, i cannot do any "clear con 0" because the system is not even responsive to ordinary pressing enter on the keyboard.

I know this not the config but the log, but from this stage what else can i do to gain back the control of the system even if i have to re-install the IOS or loose and current config?.

I have tried changing the line speed and the bit rate hoping that will help but to no avail.

Hope someone can still help me further?.

Regards

i think you have problem in scroll lock.

so, you can press the "scrool lock" then press enter .

rajib

Rajib,

Thanks for the response. But the problem is not related to scroll locked, because i pressed it countless of time on and off but yield no result.

Any further?.

Regards

Hello,

I am still appealing to anyone who has idea on how to go about resolving my problem with this 2511, it has paralized my lab activities for too long.

From where this device is stucked (look at my first post), What can i do to gain access again to the system at least to reinstall if that is going to be the last option?.

Please note, the system always bootup normally but hanged at where it says "cold start........" press enter to start, from here it becomes unresponsive any key pressed.

Thanking you all and looking forward to further help,

Regards

Hello

Follow the following document uptil step 9 and see if it helps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_password_recovery09186a0080094795.shtml

HTH,

~Vaibhav

Hello,

many thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately the router does not even respond to the BREAK key.

Any further help shall be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Hello All,

Still on the same problem but have been able to gain temporary access to the router now with the control + break key and changed the (config-reg)TO o/r 0x2142. Which now presents me with Router(boot)>

How can i proceed from here?, knowing well that my aim is not for password recovery.

Thanking you all in advance for your usual assistance,

Thanks

Hello Newnetman,

Have you changed any settings prior to rebboting your access server ? ie) did you do an IOS upgrade on it. Because something must have triggered it not to boot properly in the first place ....

Thank you,

Cheers,

- InternetB -

The idea was only to check if the router boots up fine without the config. Although the router should have taken you back to the router prompt, its strange that its in boot mode. Does the router hang in the boot mode as well?

Erase the current configuration from boot mode (write erase or erase nvram:) and then change the configuration register back to 0x2102 from ROMmon.

Now see if the router boots up fine. If you still see the same problem, unplug all the cables from the router (except, the console cable and the power cord ofcourse) and reboot. If its the same again, then its a HW failure for sure.

~Vaibhav

Guys,

After a lengthy workaround on this router, i was able to get to this point as shown by the following output. How can i proceed to get myself out of this interface?.

Router2511(boot)#sh ip int brief

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

Ethernet0 unassigned YES not set up down

Serial0 unassigned YES not set administratively down down

Serial1 unassigned YES not set administratively down down

Router2511(boot)#

Please your urgent help shall be appreciated.

Thanks

Please provide the following outputs:

show flash:

show version

~Vaibhav

vaisharm,

Thanks once again for your help. Here is the output of the sh flash though it does not accept it with ":" colon.

Router(boot)>sh flash

System flash directory, partition 1:

No files in System flash

[0 bytes used, 8388608 available, 8388608 total]

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

System flash directory, partition 2:

No files in System flash

[0 bytes used, 8388608 available, 8388608 total]8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Router(boot)>

HERE IS THE SH VER OUTPUT

Router(boot)>sh ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-BOOT-R), Version 11.0(10c), RELEASE SOFTWARE (f

c1)

Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 27-Dec-96 17:33 by loreilly

Image text-base: 0x01010000, data-base: 0x00001000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE

Router uptime is 3 minutes

System restarted by power-on

Running default software

cisco 2511 (68030) processor (revision L) with 14336K/2048K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID 06168381, with hardware revision 00000000

X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2, BFE and GOSIP compliant.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface.

2 Serial network interfaces.

16 terminal lines.

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

8192K bytes of processor board System flash partition 1 (Read/Write)

8192K bytes of processor board System flash partition 2 (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2142

Router(boot)>

Will be looking forward to your usual help.

Thanks

Hi,

You may try this..

router(boot)>enable

router(boot)#wr erase

router(boot)#config term

config-reg 0x2102

Now assign an ip address on the ethernet interface on the router. Connect you router to your PC using a cross-cable and run a tftp server on it. The IOS image that you want to copy on to the router should be in the default directory of the tftp server. After you have ensured two-way connectivity between the router and the PC, issue the following command:

router(boot)# copy tftp flash:

OR (try the following command only if the above command does not work)

router(boot)# copy tftp flash:1:

IP address or name of remote host ? x.x.x.x -> TFTP server IP address

Name of tftp filename to copy into flash []? IOS_image_name.bin

copy IOS_image_name.bin from x.x.x.x into flash memory? [confirm]

xxxxxxxx bytes available for writing without erasure.

erase flash before writing? [confirm]

Clearing and initializing flash memory (please wait)####...

Loading from x.x.x.x: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!... [OK - xxx/yyy bytes]

Verifying checksum...

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

VVVVVVV...

Flash verification successful.

router(boot)#show flash: -> confirm that the file is there.

router(boot)# reload

Let us know how it goes.

HTH

~Vaibhav

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: