2600 router: no go without console cable (?)

Unanswered Question
Jul 24th, 2008

Cisco 2651XM router

IOS image: c2600-advsecurityk9-mz.124-9.T1.bin 17776 KB

I've only had my 2651XM router for a couple of weeks and I've just noticed that the router won't work properly unless the console cable is connected.

Is this by design? or is this because of a wrong setting?

When I say it won't work properly I mean the two fastethernet ports are are down. Either side of the f0/0 and f0/1 are little green lights. One one side is FDX, on the other side are Link and 100Mbps lights. Without the console cable connected the 100Mbps lights are off and the router doesn't do any 'routing'. With the console cable connected the device works perfectly. It's no big deal to have the console cable permanently connected but it struck me as strange so I'd be grateful to know if this should be the case, or if something is wrong.

Thanks for any help.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
a.alekseev Thu, 07/24/2008 - 14:37

A router should boot normally without a console cable.

Could you sh the configuration and the output "sh ver"?

tonyspcrepairs Thu, 07/24/2008 - 15:06

Damn, I just booted it to get the running config and then booted it again without the console cable connected (just to be sure) and now it's working ok. Damn. I'm going to to keep and eye on it to make sure those lights don't go off suddenly. Thanks for your response btw. If it misbehaves again I'll post the running config next time. Knowing my luck those fastethernet lights will go down straight after I click 'Post'.

Actions

This Discussion