CCNP / CCVP voice LAB

Answered Question
Jul 24th, 2008

Hello All,

I stumbled on this offer on the web and I have been considering building my own lab for a while.

What is your take on this feature? The seller says its ideally for a CCVP which i hope to eventually pursue but am currentlly still studying to complete my CCNP. Do you think this is good for CCNP as well?

The price take is a little over $1,000 roughlly $1200 including shipping and 1 year warrantee.

Here is the specification:

2 x 2924 (IOS) Switches

Conduct 802.1Q Multi-VLAN Trunking

Inter-VLAN Routing

STP / VLAN / MLS

QOS Implementation

1 x 1924/1912 Switch

Complete Spanning Tree Loop

Non-QOS Lab Work (Internet Simulations)

1 x 3640 Router

Call Manager Express (CME) for CCVP

FULL VOIP PBX

12.4 IOS

MAX FLASH RAM

NM-2e2w

WIC-1T

2 x 2610 Routers

12.3 IOS

FireWall / IDS / VPN

2 x WIC-1T (1 per unit)

2 x 7940 Phones

VOIP to CME PBX

FULL ASTERISK PBX COPY

SIP / SCCP / MGCP

Power Cubes

All CABLES AND MODULES INCUDED

All Lab Accessories

6 CAT 5 Networking Cables

2 Serial Cross-Over Cables

Power Cords

Would you buy this?

I have this problem too.
0 votes

Dynamips is fine for things done in software (routing). Technologies that require hardware (switching/voice) you would be better off with real hardware.

The 26xx and 26xxXM devices will do some voice interfaces. You will need to purchase a NM card with DSP resources and the right version of the card (VIC-2FXO vs. VIC2-2FXO).

Overall Rating: 2.5 (4 ratings)
tim.giles Tue, 09/16/2008 - 01:20

I'm not sure how much this is going to help you towards your CCVP to be honest. This switches don't seem to be PoE compatible so you'll need external power supplies for the 7940 phones.

You could test a few things and get some good practice with the router commands, CME and internal IP to IP phone testing but you could do this anyway with Dynamips.

Personally I would recommend Dynamips, VMWare and virtual labs...save your money.

Please rate useful posts...

babatunde_sanda Tue, 09/16/2008 - 02:07

I was able to eventually assemble

2 x 2924 switches

1 x 3524 POE switch

2 x 2610 router

1 2610xm router

1 3640 router

2 x 7940 phones

I have cranked the routers to the max hardware they support (memory and flash). Still sourcing all needed IOS.

So what do you think about this new assembly.

babatunde_sanda Wed, 04/01/2009 - 16:35

Hello Sameh,

I don't know much about using dynamips for the voice but my take is it wouldn't be effective being that you actually need to get a tone from your FXO and generate tone for devices plugged on your FXS. I stand to be corrected on this logic though.

I finished my CCNP last year too with those devices and some I got from work. The only device out of the list relevant to the Voice track is my 3640 which I had to buy a dsp module for before I installed an FXO port. Reading for the QOS track now. I have a lot of devices to work with at work so am not sweating the devices I have at home yet for this track. Good luck.

Correct Answer

Dynamips is fine for things done in software (routing). Technologies that require hardware (switching/voice) you would be better off with real hardware.

The 26xx and 26xxXM devices will do some voice interfaces. You will need to purchase a NM card with DSP resources and the right version of the card (VIC-2FXO vs. VIC2-2FXO).

Actions

This Discussion