cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Project - 2-3 switchers vs. routers

rytomross
Level 1
Level 1

I'm working on a project for school, and it's beginning to dawn on me that the course isn't entirely up to date.

Anyway, I have six departments each with their own subnet, and I need to aggregate each department's labs and offices, etc. The course book maintains that hubs should be used to aggregate, and then each department should be sent to a router.

I don't see any hubs on the Cisco site, and the course hardly mentions 2-3 switches. I'm not trying to combine different protocol suites or even differnt topologies, so is a router really required?

And what should I be using to aggregate? The project is based on a university building with a lot of labs, faculty offices, and wireless access.

3 Replies 3

cpembleton
Level 4
Level 4

Hubs! LOL...

Here is a good doc about campus high availability design.

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns431/c649/ccmigration_09186a008093b876.pdf

Hope this helps.

Chad

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hubs have been gone since the late 90's. Switches are now used. A lot switches have layer 3 capability now so a router would not need to be used in that case , if it is a layer switch then yes you would need a router or a l2/l3 switch to do routing between subnets.

Thanks cpembleton and glen.grant, appreciate the help. The textbook used in the course is a CompTIA approved text from 2005. But even in 2005 I find it hard to believe that hubs were still being used - I've had a baby 4-port switch at home since 2003.

I've found a 2/3 switch to interconnect my subnets, a router, and a firewall, but is there a general recommendation for a cheap layer 2 switch? I also don't need any advanced services or PoE on these ones, I just need to aggregate connections, a lot of connections (500+ per floor, 10 floors).

Thanks again for the help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card