Views
Helpful
Replies

AP 1252 and Powerdsine midspan

pbuch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a project with AP 1252 using existing 3750 switches. As the 1252 demands more than 15,4W i am trying to user Powerdsine 7000 midspans.

The midspan is able to give up to 32W/port. I have a test setup with a couple of 1252 and a 2206 controller.

The 1252's powers up but with Poe status medium, and using only 15,4W.

How do i get them to use full power ?

/Per

20 Replies 20

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

You should be able to configure it with the Power Pro utility (PowerDsine PowerView Web Manager)

http://www.microsemi.com/PowerDsine/Documentation/UserGuides/06-0050-056_PowerView_Pro_User_Guide_v3.pdf

I dont think that it is a configuration problem with the powerdsine product.

All ports are set to deliver max 32W.

/Per

Just found this note in the controller version 5.1 manual.

Note

When powered with a non-Cisco standard PoE switch, the 1250 series access point operates under 15.4 Watts. Even if the non-Cisco switch or midspan device is capable of providing higher power, the access point does not operate in enhanced PoE mode.

Why this limitation ?

Any workaround ?

/Per

Powerdsine makes a dongle that you need to attach to each port a 1252 is on. This is because Cisco uses proprietary signaling to tell the midspan which PoE to use. This signaling is not 802.3at compliant and as such doesn't signal for enough power. Call your powerdsine rep and ask for the dongle. It is only about seven US dollars I believe.

Thanks for your answer :-)

The 7000 series midspan should be able to use 802.3at + legacy. I have mailed Powerdsine support but havent got any answer, probably holiday :-)

Powerdsine should be able to solve this via a firmwareupgrade.

/Per

You will still need to use the dongle I think s the signalling for the 1252 is not AT compliant and legacy only puts out 15.8 watts. That's what they told me at Networkers.

Its simply because Cisco is not IEEE802.3at compliant. To bad, IEEE802.3at is not that new.

Cisco Cisco Cisco !!!! This can hobefully be solved with a firmware upgrade.

/Per

JEFFREY SESSLER
Level 1
Level 1

I just finished investigating midspans for my own 1252 deployment. At this time, there is only a single PoE vendor, and a single product within their line, that can power a 1252 at full power.

It's the Phihong POE125U-4HP 4-port POE midspan. This device can actually signal the 1252 to use full power.

According to Powerdsine, they will have Cisco-Poe-plus midspans late this year.

/Per

I use a normal patch cable with the blue and brown pairs swapped over and 802.11af PoE injectors for lots of my Cisco APs without a problem.

If you use a similar cable you should be able to use your Midspan injector.

You may want to give it a try.

shahn
Level 1
Level 1

Did you purchase the splitter from powerdesign? Its a dongle that somehow changes the audible tone to allow full power.

I believe the dongle simply pulls the higher power back off the ehternet to feed into the AP's power input jack.

jmorgan
Level 1
Level 1

This PDF says a PD-PS-401G dongle works. I haven't tried it yet though.

http://www.microsemi.com/literature/Cisco_LAN.pdf

I have, and it works :-)

But it would be simpler if Cisco was folloving the standards.

/PerB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card