Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C3750 Port Security feature

Hi everyone!

I've got C3750 with IOS C3750-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M, Version 12.2(37)SE running.

There's PC + IP Phone connected to access-port and I need to enable Port Security feature to authorize them. According to “Catalyst 3750 Switch Software Configuration Guide, 12.2(37)SE” document I need to allow 2 MAC-addresses on this port: 1 for PC (access VLAN 113) and 1 for IP Phone (voice VLAN 12).

There is my default port config:

interface FastEthernet4/0/46

switchport access vlan 113

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 12

switchport port-security maximum 2

switchport port-security

switchport port-security violation protect

switchport port-security mac-address sticky

end

After connecting PC + IP Phone to this port both devices are added to switch MAC-address table:

Vlan Mac Address Type Ports

---- ----------- -------- -----

113 0001.6c05.57b3 STATIC Fa4/0/46 (РС)

113 000d.6570.7e7a STATIC Fa4/0/46 (IP Phone)

For some reason IP Phone belongs to access VLAN 113, not to voice VLAN 12. I've got 2 strings added in port config:

switchport port-security mac-address sticky 000d.6570.7e7a

switchport port-security mac-address sticky 0001.6c05.57b3

However if I change switchport port-security maximum for 4 then both devices determines correctly and their MAC-addresses belongs to proper VLAN:

Vlan Mac Address Type Ports

---- ----------- -------- -----

12 000d.6570.7e7a STATIC Fa4/0/46

113 0001.6c05.57b3 STATIC Fa4/0/46

And port config string looks like that:

switchport port-security mac-address sticky 000d.6570.7e7a vlan voice

switchport port-security mac-address sticky 0001.6c05.57b3

It being known that if after correct device determining switchport port-security maximum changes for 2 it all goes work fine.

So the question is:why only after switchport port-security maximum set for 4 IP Phone determines correctly? Setting port-security maximum 2 doesn't works fine regardless of the fact that Configuration Guide advise to use 2 MAC-addresses.

Sorry for my English and thanks for help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

During the initial connection, the IP-Phone will use the 'access-vlan' in your case Vlan 113 to obtain its information from DHCP.

Once that information is obtained, it switches to the voice Vlan.

Port-Security disables the ability to do that hence it's recommended for IP-Phones to have Port-Security set to 3.

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

During the initial connection, the IP-Phone will use the 'access-vlan' in your case Vlan 113 to obtain its information from DHCP.

Once that information is obtained, it switches to the voice Vlan.

Port-Security disables the ability to do that hence it's recommended for IP-Phones to have Port-Security set to 3.

__

Edison.

4rmorris
Level 1
Level 1

Interesting. Don't be surprised if the documentation is not 100% correct. What I expect is happening is that the phone initially comes up on the native VLAN (113). This would put a phone entry in the MAC table. Using CDP it talks to the switch to identify the voice vlan, then creates an 802.1q trunk and switches over to the new vlan, creating another MAC address entry on the port.

Because there's already a PC there, the second phone MAC entry is not allowed, so it doesn't change vlans. This sounds like an unintended feature (i.e. bug), as a result of the way the voice vlan negotiation works with port security.

I haven't tested this or anything. Do you see log entries ("show log" output) showing port security violations when you're set to only 2 MACs?

Regards,

R.

the best thing is,

1) Remove the port security on the port --test if both phone and pc works

2) if yes then take the sh mac-add int fas 0/X and you should be getting two mac and then assign the configure the Port security

that should solve the problem ..

Regares

srini

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card