cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Roaming between APs causes reauthenticaion w/ CCKM

jason.eberhard
Level 1
Level 1

I have a small set up with a 2106 controller and two 1252AG access points.

Each AP is on a side of a floor less than 100' from each other. But with columns and partitions in the way they just barely overlap one another.

I have 2 WLANs configured with [WPA + WPA2][Auth(802.1X + CCKM)] (One is for N and one is for B/G). Testing is being performed with a MacBook Pro. When I roam from one AP to the other I am still prompted to reauthenticate.

Does the MBP not support CCKM? Perhaps the fact we are using token based auth?

1 Reply 1

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

CCKM-authenticated client devices can roam from one AP to another without any perceptible delay during reassociation. An AP on the network provides Wireless Domain Services (WDS) and creates a cache of security credentials for CCKM-enabled client devices on the subnet. The WDS APs cache of credentials dramatically reduces the time required for re-association when a CCKM-enabled client device roams to a new AP. When a client device roams, the WDS AP forwards the client's security credentials to the new AP. The re-association process is reduced to a two-packet exchange between the roaming client and the new AP. Roaming clients reassociate so quickly that there is no perceptible delay in voice or other time-sensitive applications.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card