cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best practices for server port on CAT 3750E

speedingwolfids
Level 1
Level 1

I have a CAT3750E and use the first 12 ports for server and the rest for phone and desktop. In the GUI, smart port, i see there are options to configure the port as Cisco router, switch, desktop, desktop and phone. Our servers have a few VMWARE machines/servers on one of the physical host. When i setup the port as Cisco+Desttop, only two machines, the physical host and the guest have IP address. So, i set the port as Desktop.

I also set another port as None and that works as well.

What is your recommendation for setting up the server ports on this switch without limitation of how many machine can use its port?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you configure ports via the GUI, you rely on preset macros. The problem is that the macros available to you do not fit the requirement for the VMWARE server connection.

Most of the macros use the port-security feature which breaks the VMWARE.

I suggest you become familiar with the CLI (Command Line Interface) and ditch the GUI.

Then the port would look something like

interface gx/x

switchport

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan [vlan_id]

spanning-tree portfast

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

HTH,

__

Edison

Cisco just recently provide documentation on Vmware Infrastructure in Cisco Networking environment. Here is a link.

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns304/c649/ccmigration_09186a00807a15d0.pdf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card