Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4x to Unity 5x

tom
Level 1
Level 1

Everyone

We are upgrading from Unity 4x on a Win 2000 box with Exchange 2000 …

to Unity 5x with Win 2003 and Exchange 2003. We are most concerned with “Gotchas.” For example, issues that are not widely know but can really aggregate a clean install and implementation. What we are also looking for is the differences between Unity 4x to Unity 5x. The Cisco documentation is pretty clear on the configuration but they don't spell out the big differences.

In addition, I need to know.

Is there anything in the Exchange configuration that we need to worry about?

How much different is the Admin GUI?

How much different is the Phone Display to the User?

Is there any big “Gotchas” with Call Handlers, Directory Handlers, Interviewer Handlers and Subscribers'?

I know any scripts we have will need to be converted.

Thomas Dooley, TelecomAnalyst, Forsyth CoGov

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I can't stress how much you need to use the DIRT tool!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

espereir
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Tom,

The differences between Unity 4.X and 5.X are not a lot, actually, we have added new features and functionality on Unity 5.X/7.X like Exchange 2007 support, phone view, Vista support, between others. You can check some VODs and PPTs at the site below that will explain some of the new features/enhancements:

http://ciscounitytools.com/TOI_Unity501.htm

The GUI for the users remained the same with just one exception; some of the subscribers options were added to the Ciscopca page:

ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/lindborg/Unity50/Cisco-UA-PerUserSettings.ppt

Just remember to expand the Schema for Unity 5.X before the upgrade and make sure that you fully understand all the steps involved on this upgrade.

Please feel free to post any specific question about the upgrade, I will try to answer them myself.

Hope this helps!

I can't stress how much you need to use the DIRT tool!

Hi Chris,

From your response.. I guess you have had some bad experiences with other tools like “Cobra”

Thanks Tom

Not sure what version of 4.x you are on but myself and a former co-worker have both seen the DiRT restore on a 4.0(4)sr1 Unity server not restore the Call Transfer settings for Call Handlers on two different occaisions with two different systems. I believe it sets all of them back to "Send Directly to Greeting" and does not restore any other settimgs like ring subscriber or ring a specific extension.

Shan/Tom,

Now that Shan mentioned that, it will be good if you review the following bug before doing the upgrade which is fixed on Unity 7.X:

CSCsm15661: Upgrade from 4.x may cause Std & Alt Transfer rules to change

This defect will change the call handling behavior and can affect the Auto Attendant.

You can check the bug details at this link:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/

Hope this help!

Yep, that was it. I wasn't sure if it was DiRT or the upgrade to 5.0 that caused the issue and I didn't feel like going back and starting from scratch to find out.

Good to know it's fixed in 7.0. Thanks for the info but my hands are still crippled from configuring 200+ call handlers by hand to match the old settings from the 4.0 server. ;)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: